Catalan-style chicken is a rich main dish that is great for fall. Chicken is browned, then simmered in a sauce of prunes, raisins, pine nuts, onions, tomatoes and white wine. Simply served with white rice, this dish makes a wonderful main course.
- 12 ounces prunes (stoned)
- 1 cup white raisins (8 ounces)
- 3 1/2 pounds chicken (cut into pieces)
- 1 cup pine nuts
- 1 1/2 cups onions (chopped)
- 3 tomatoes (chopped)
- 4 tablespoons olive oil (plus more as needed)
- 2 cups chicken stock
- 8 ounces white wine
- salt to taste
- black pepper to taste
- Soak prunes and raisins in a bowl and cover with water. Let soak for 4 hours.
- If you are using a whole chicken, cut into pieces. If using large pieces, such as breasts, cut each one in half. Season with salt and pepper. Pour a few tablespoon of olive oil in a large frying pan and brown chicken.
- Remove from pan and place in a large open pot.
- Drain the prunes and raisins. In the same pan where you browned the chicken, sauté the prunes, raisins and pine nuts.
- Add chopped onions and sauté, adding olive oil if necessary. Add chopped tomatoes and cook for approximately 5 minutes. Add chicken broth to the frying pan and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Pour sauce over chicken and simmer until chicken is cooked and tender. A few minutes before serving, add the bread crumbs to thicken and stir. Add wine and simmer.
- Taste and adjust salt if needed. Serve with white rice.
Note on Chicken: The traditional version of this recipe uses a whole chicken, cut into pieces, with skin on. However, any combination of chicken pieces can be used – breast, legs, thighs, etc. To reduce calories and fat, use skinless white meat.
Dried Fruit Quick Tip: If you do not have 4 hours for soaking, put prunes and raisins in a small sauce pan and cover with water. Place on stove on high heat for about 3 minutes, or until water is hot to the touch. Remove from burner and allow to soak until you are ready to use them in the pan.
|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Total Fat||60 g|
|Saturated Fat||12 g|
|Unsaturated Fat||25 g|
|Dietary Fiber||7 g|