This recipe for chicken egg rolls makes the thicker egg roll that is popular in western restaurants. Makes 15 - 16.
Need advice on how to keep egg rolls from coming out too dry or too soggy? Follow these 11 simple tips to Turning Out the Perfect Egg Roll.
- For the Marinade:
- 1 tablespoonsoy sauce
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Pinch of cornstarch
- For the Filling:
- 1 Boneless, Skinless Chicken Breast
- 3 tablespoons water
- 1 teaspoon cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon oyster sauce
- 2 teaspoons soy sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- 1 garlic clove (minced)
- 2 stalks celery (sliced diagonally)
- 1 small onion (chopped)
- 1 red bell pepper (diced)
- 1/2 cup fresh mushrooms (sliced)
- 1 cup mung bean sprouts (rinsed and drained)
- 2 green onions (chopped)
- 4 tablespoons oil for stir-frying (or as needed)
- For the Wrappers
- 14 - 16 egg roll wrappers
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch (mixed with 1 tablespoon water, or as needed, to seal wrappers)
- Gather the ingredients.
- Rinse the chicken breast and pat dry, cutting off any fat. Cut into thin strips. Add the soy sauce, salt and pepper and cornstarch. Marinate the chicken for 15 minutes.
- In a small bowl, mix together 1 tablespoon water with the 1 teaspoon cornstarch and set aside. Mix the remaining 2 tablespoons water with the oyster sauce, soy sauce, and sugar. Set aside. Wash and prepare the vegetables.
- Heat the wok and add 2 tablespoons oil. Add the chicken and stir-fry until it changes color and is 80 percent cooked. Remove from the wok.
- Clean out the wok and add 2 tablespoons oil. Add the minced garlic and stir until aromatic (15 seconds). Add the celery and chopped onion. Stir-fry until the onion is beginning to brown, and then add the bell pepper, mushrooms, and bean sprouts. Add a bit of salt and/or sugar to the bean sprouts if desired. Stir in the green onion.
- Add the chicken back into the wok. Push everything up to the side and add the oyster sauce and water mixture in the middle. Give the cornstarch and water mixture a quick stir and add to the sauce, stirring quickly to thicken. Mix the sauce with the chicken and vegetables. Remove from the heat and cool.
- Heat the oil for deep-frying to 375 degrees Fahrenheit. While waiting for the oil to heat, prepare the egg rolls.
- Lay an egg roll wrapper out in front of you. Place 3 - 4 tablespoons of the filling in the middle, spreading it out so it doesn’t bunch up but not going right to the edges of the wrapper. Dip your finger in the mixture of 2 tablespoons cornstarch and 1 tablespoon water. Wet 3 edges of the wrapper, excluding the bottom edge that is closest to you. Lift the bottom of the wrapper over the filling and tuck it in. Fold in the sides, pressing down to stick, and roll up the egg roll the remainder of the way. Press down the top edge to seal.
- Carefully add the egg rolls into the hot oil, 1 or 2 at a time, and deep-fry until they turn golden brown. Remove and drain on paper towels. Serve with Sweet and Sour sauce and/or Hot Mustard for dipping.
More Egg Roll Recipes
Egg Rolls - with barbecued pork
Need some cooking tips? Try Egg Roll Energizers
and How to Freeze Egg Rolls