This tasty, popular chicken enchilada casserole recipe is made with sour cream, diced chicken, mushrooms, peppers, tortillas, cheese, and seasonings. Start this casserole about 1 hour before serving time. The enchiladas are baked on a layer of sour cream and topped shredded cheese.
- 3 cups sour cream
- 2 cups chicken (diced)
- 2 cans mushrooms (sliced, drained; 4 ounces each)
- 1 can/4 ounces green chiles (drained)
- 1/4 cup onion (instant minced)
- 1 teaspoon chile powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- vegetable oil
- 12 corn tortillas
- 8 ounces Mexican cheese blend (shredded or Monterey Jack or cheddar)
- Spread 1 cup of the sour cream in the bottom of a 9-by-13-by-2-inch baking pan.
- Combine the chicken, 1/2 cup sour cream, mushrooms, green chile, onion, chili powder, salt, garlic powder, and pepper in a medium saucepan. Cook over low heat, stirring occasionally, until hot.
- Preheat oven to 450 F.
- In a skillet over medium heat, in about 1/4 to 1/2-inch of vegetable oil, fry a tortilla for a few seconds on each side, or until softened, or follow package instructions for softening the tortillas in the microwave oven.
- Spread about 1/4 cup of the chicken mixture along center of tortilla; fold sides over filling and place it seam-side down on sour cream layer in baking pan.
- Repeat with remaining 11 tortillas and the remaining chicken mixture.
- Spread the remaining 1 1/2 cups of sour cream over the filled enchiladas and then sprinkle with cheese. Bake for 10 minutes, or until cheese is melted and enchiladas are thoroughly heated.
You Might Also Like
|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Total Fat||47 g|
|Saturated Fat||22 g|
|Unsaturated Fat||14 g|
|Dietary Fiber||4 g|