|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Servings: 4 Pork Chops (4 Servings)|
|Amount per serving|
|% Daily Value*|
|Total Fat 60g||77%|
|Saturated Fat 16g||81%|
|Total Carbohydrate 41g||15%|
|Dietary Fiber 4g||16%|
|*The % Daily Value (DV) tells you how much a nutrient in a food serving contributes to a daily diet. 2,000 calories a day is used for general nutrition advice.|
These simple breaded pork chops are a snap to prepare and cook on the stovetop, and they are sure to please.
The chicken-fried chops are dipped in an egg and milk mixture and then they're dipped in flour and fried to perfection. Use bone-in or boneless pork chops in the recipe. The pork chops are medium thickness, so they cook quickly. Serve the chops with mashed potatoes, cornbread dressing, or grits, along with applesauce or Southern-style fried apples.
- 4 center-cut pork chops (1/2 to 3/4-inch thick, preferably bone-in)
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper (to taste)
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1 large egg
- 3 tablespoons milk or buttermilk
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- Optional: chopped fresh parsley garnish
- Optional: cream gravy
- 3 tablespoons butter or oil from cooking the pork chops
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 cups milk or part
Sprinkle pork chops on both sides with kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper.
Heat the oil in a heavy skillet until hot but not smoking (about 350 F to 360 F).
Whisk egg and 3 tablespoons of milk or buttermilk together in a shallow bowl.
In another bowl, combine the 1/2 cup of flour and paprika; blend well.
Dip each pork chop in the egg mixture and then dredge in flour until thoroughly coated.
Fry the pork chops in the hot oil for about 4 to 6 minutes on each side, or until the chops are cooked through. For thicker pork chops, allow more time.
Garnish with fresh chopped parsley, if desired.
For the optional cream gravy, heat the butter or 3 tablespoons of the pork chop cooking oil in a skillet or saucepan over medium heat.
Add the 1/4 cup of flour and continue cooking for 4 to 5 minutes, stirring constantly.
Add the 2 cups of milk and cook until thickened, stirring constantly.
Tips and Variations
- Season the flour with 1 teaspoon of poultry seasoning.
- Add 1 tablespoon of hot sauce to the egg and milk mixture.
- Serve the pork chops with fried apples if desired, along with cooked grits, potatoes, or bread or cornbread dressing. Add cooked corn, green beans, or carrots, or your family's favorite sides.
Southern-Style Fried Apples
- Wash and core 3 unpeeled tart red apples and then cut them into thin wedges.
- Heat 3 tablespoons of butter in a large skillet over medium-low heat.
- Add the apple wedges and 3 tablespoons of brown sugar to the skillet and cook, stirring, for about 15 minutes or until the apples are just tender.
- Add 1/2 teaspoon of ground cinnamon.
- Taste and add more sugar, if needed.
- Continue cooking, stirring, for about 5 minutes longer, or until the apples are tender.
- Serve with the pork chops or with ham or chicken.