Chicken, particularly the breast meat often benefits from a good marinade. This is a simple recipe that requires a 30-45 minute marinade time. This recipe is great for chicken breasts that end up in other recipes such as soups, stews, sandwiches, salads, and wraps.
- 3/4 cup/180 mL olive oil
- 1/4 cup/60 mL white vinegar
- 2 tablespoons/30 mL balsamic vinegar
- 2 teaspoons/10 mL salt
- 2 teaspoons/10 mL sugar (you can use pure agave if preferred)
- 2 teaspoons/10 mL oregano (dried)
- 2 teaspoons/10 mL basil (dried)
- 2 teaspoons/10 mL onion powder
- 2 teaspoons/10 mL garlic powder
- 2 teaspoons/10 mL black pepper
- Optional: 1 teaspoon/5 mL red pepper flakes
Combine all ingredients and mix well. Pour into a resealable bag and add chicken. This is enough marinade for 4 to 5 pounds/1.8 to 2.3 kg of chicken. Store mixture in an air tight container in refrigerator for up 5 days after preparation. I recommend making it a day in advance (stored in the fridge of course) to let the flavors blend before using.