In this quick and delicious weeknight dinner recipe, chicken breasts are lightly browned and then baked with mushrooms, sliced tomatoes, and mozzarella cheese. Wine adds extra flavor, but chicken broth will work as well.
- 4 to 6 chicken breast halves
- salt to taste
- black pepper to taste
- garlic powder to taste
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons butter (divided)
- 8 ounces mushrooms (sliced)
- 2 to 3 tablespoons Marsala wine (or white wine or use chicken broth)
- 1 tomato (medium or large, sliced)
- 4 to 6 green onions (thinly sliced)
- 8 ounces mozzarella cheese (sliced)
- Lightly grease a shallow 2- to 3-quart baking dish. Heat the oven to 325 F.
- Pound chicken breast halves between sheets of plastic wrap until evenly thinned out. Salt and pepper both sides then sprinkle lightly with garlic powder.
- In a large skillet, heat 1 tablespoon olive oil and 1 tablespoon butter over medium heat. Add chicken to the heated skillet; cook for about 2 to 3 minutes on each side, or until lightly browned.
- Remove the chicken to the prepared baking dish. Add the remaining 1 tablespoon of butter to the skillet along with the wine or broth then saute the mushrooms until tender and golden brown.
- Pour mushroom mixture over chicken in baking dish. Top with tomato slices and sliced green onions.
- Place mozzarella slices over all.
- Bake for 20 to 25 minutes.
|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Total Fat||62 g|
|Saturated Fat||21 g|
|Unsaturated Fat||24 g|
|Dietary Fiber||1 g|