|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
This easy chicken noodle casserole makes a delicious family meal or potluck dinner offering.
- 8 ounces egg noodles (uncooked)
- 8 tablespoons butter
- 1 cup sliced mushrooms (about 4 ounces)
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 cups chicken broth (preferably unsalted or low salt)
- 1 cup milk
- 1/4 cup pimiento (chopped and drained)
- Kosher salt (to taste)
- Freshly ground black pepper (to taste)
- 2 cups chicken (cooked diced)
- 1/3 cup Parmesan cheese (grated)
Cook the noodles according to the package directions; drain thoroughly.
Heat the oven to 350 F.
Butter a shallow 2 1/2-quart casserole.
Gradually add the chicken broth, milk, and pimiento, stirring constantly until sauce is thickened. Taste and add kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste.
In the prepared casserole dish, combine the cooked and drained noodles, the diced chicken, and sauce mixture. Sprinkle Parmesan cheese over the top.
Bake for 20 to 25 minutes.
Tips and Variations
Instead of egg noodles, make the dish with cooked and drained spaghetti, macaroni, or another type of pasta.
Omit the mushrooms and reduce the butter to 6 tablespoons.
Saute about 1/2 to 1 cup of onions or a mixture of onions, celery, and carrots in the butter before adding the flour.