The dish makes a delicious family meal, or take it to a potluck dinner.
- 8 ounces egg noodles, uncooked
- 8 tablespoons butter
- 1 cup sliced mushrooms, about 4 ounces
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 cups chicken broth, preferably unsalted or low salt
- 1 cup milk
- 1/4 cup pimiento, chopped (2-ounce jar, drained)
- kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 2 cups cooked diced chicken
- 1/3 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- Cook noodles according to package directions and drain.
- Heat the oven to 350 F.
- In large skillet, melt the butter in a large skillet or saute pan over low heat; saute the mushrooms. Blend in the flour, stirring until smooth. Cook, stirring, for 2 minutes.
- Gradually add the chicken broth, milk, and pimiento, stirring constantly until sauce is thickened. Taste and add kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste.
- In a buttered 2 1/2-quart casserole, combine the cooked and drained noodles, the diced chicken, and sauce mixture. Sprinkle Parmesan cheese over the top.
- Bake for 20 to 25 minutes.
Tips and Variations
- Instead of egg noodles, make the dish with cooked and drained spaghetti, macaroni, or another type of pasta.
- Omit the mushrooms and reduce the butter to 6 tablespoons.
- Saute 1/2 to 1 cup of onions or a mixture of onions, celery, and carrots in the butter before adding the flour.
You Might Also Like
|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Total Fat||36 g|
|Saturated Fat||16 g|
|Unsaturated Fat||13 g|
|Dietary Fiber||3 g|