Oregano, garlic, and tomatoes flavor this fast and easy skillet chicken dish. Serve the chicken with pasta or rice for a tasty everyday meal. Use fresh tomatoes or good quality canned tomatoes in this recipe.
Use a cut up chicken, whole chicken legs, thighs, or bone-in chicken breasts in this recipe. There are other recipes if you prefer your chicken boneless.
- 3 to 3 1/2 pounds chicken pieces
- 3 to 4 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 2 fresh tomatoes, diced, or 1 can (14.5 ounces) good quality diced tomatoes
- 1 can (4 ounces) sliced mushrooms with liquid
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon dried crumbled oregano, or 1 tablespoon fresh chopped oregano
- 1 tablespoon fresh chopped parsley, optional
- Heat oil in a heavy, deep saute pan or Dutch oven; add the chicken pieces and brown over medium heat.
- Add onion and garlic to the chicken and then cook for 3 minutes. Add the tomatoes, mushrooms, kosher salt, pepper, and oregano.
- Cover and cook over low heat for 30 to 40 minutes, or until the chicken is tender and thoroughly cooked. To test the chicken for doneness, insert an instant-read thermometer into the thickest part of the meat. It should register at least 165° F.
- Arrange the chicken in a serving dish with the sauce. Sprinkle with fresh chopped parsley, if desired.
- Add 1/2 chopped bell pepper along with the onion.
- Use fresh mushrooms in place of the canned. Saute them with the onions.
- Add about 1/4 cup of dry red wine and a bay with the tomatoes for a cacciatore-style dish.
|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Total Fat||62 g|
|Saturated Fat||15 g|
|Unsaturated Fat||28 g|
|Dietary Fiber||3 g|