|Nutrition Facts (per serving)|
|Amount per serving|
|% Daily Value*|
|Total Fat 62g||79%|
|Saturated Fat 15g||73%|
|Total Carbohydrate 19g||7%|
|Dietary Fiber 3g||11%|
|*The % Daily Value (DV) tells you how much a nutrient in a food serving contributes to a daily diet. 2,000 calories a day is used for general nutrition advice.|
Oregano, garlic, and tomatoes flavor this fast and easy skillet chicken dish. Serve the chicken with pasta or rice for a tasty everyday meal. Use fresh tomatoes or good-quality canned tomatoes in this recipe.
Use a cut up chicken, whole chicken legs, thighs, or bone-in chicken breasts. There are other recipes if you prefer your chicken boneless.
- 3 to 3 1/2 pounds chicken pieces
- 3 to 4 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1 clove garlic (minced)
- 2 fresh tomatoes (diced, or 1 can (14.5 ounces) good quality diced tomatoes)
- 1 can (4 ounces) sliced mushrooms with liquid
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon dried crumbled oregano, or 1 tablespoon fresh chopped oregano
- Optional: 1 tablespoon fresh chopped parsley
Gather the ingredients.
Heat oil in a heavy, deep sauté pan or Dutch oven; add the chicken pieces and brown over medium heat.
Add onion and garlic to the chicken and then cook for 3 minutes. Add the tomatoes, mushrooms, kosher salt, pepper, and oregano.
Cover and cook over low heat for 30 to 40 minutes, or until the chicken is tender and thoroughly cooked. To test the chicken for doneness, insert an instant-read thermometer into the thickest part of the meat. It should register at least 165 F.
Arrange the chicken in a serving dish with the sauce. Sprinkle with fresh chopped parsley, if desired.
Serve and enjoy!
- Add 1/2 chopped bell pepper along with the onion.
- Use fresh mushrooms in place of the canned. Saute them with the onions.
- Add about 1/4 cup of dry red wine and a bay with the tomatoes for a cacciatore-style dish.