This baked chicken Parmesan starts with Parmesan-coated chicken breasts. The breaded, oven-fried chicken is then baked with prepared spaghetti sauce and shredded Mozzarella cheese.
This is an easy dinner to prepare, and you can keep it relatively low in fat with low-fat mozzarella or the lower amounts of cheese. If you're short on time, use seasoned fine dry bread crumbs and a little Parmesan for the coating.
If you prefer to fry the chicken on the stovetop first, make this recipe for Simple Fried Chicken Breast Cutlets, then bake with the spaghetti sauce and cheese.
For a full and satisfying dinner, serve the chicken and spaghetti with a tossed salad and garlic bread.
Related Recipe: Easy Chicken Parmesan
- 1 cup soft fine bread crumbs
- 1/4 to 1/3 cup Parmesan cheese, fresh shredded
- 1/4 teaspoon dried leaf basil
- 1 teaspoon dried parsley flakes
- dash pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 4 chicken breast halves*
- 1 large egg
- 2 tablespoons milk
- 1 jar spaghetti sauce or marinara, about 24 ounces
- 1/2 to 1 cup shredded Mozzarella cheese
- 1 pound thin spaghetti
- Heat oven to 400 F (200 C/Gas 6).
- Line a baking sheet with foil; spray with olive oil spray or nonstick cooking spray.
- In a food processor, grind crumbs, Parmesan, basil, parsley, and a dash of pepper and 1/4 teaspoon salt until fine. Pour into a plate or shallow bowl.
- Pound the chicken breasts lightly to flatten to a uniform thickness. If using thin cutlets, there should be no need to pound.
- Whisk the egg with the milk in a shallow bowl.
- Dip chicken pieces in egg mixture then coat with crumb mixture. Arrange the chicken pieces on the baking sheet. Bake for 15 minutes, then turn the chicken and bake for 10 minutes longer. Remove the chicken and reduce the oven temperature to 350 F (180 C/Gas 4).
- In an 11-by-7-inch baking dish spread about one-third of the spaghetti sauce. Arrange the cooked chicken in the sauce; pour remaining sauce over chicken. Sprinkle with Mozzarella cheese.
- Bake for 15 to 20 minutes longer, or until the sauce is bubbly and cheese is melted.
- Meanwhile, cook the spaghetti in boiling salted water following the package directions. Drain the pasta thoroughly.
- Serve the chicken and sauce with the hot drained spaghetti.
*One standard serving of chicken is about 4 ounces, so 2 or 3 large chicken breast halves (8-ounce or larger) would be enough for four people.
You Might Also Like
|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Total Fat||82 g|
|Saturated Fat||24 g|
|Unsaturated Fat||32 g|
|Dietary Fiber||4 g|