|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
My chicken pita bread sandwich keeps people coming back for more. Piping, soft pita with slices of marinated chicken breast and veggies make it the ultimate lunch time meal.
Pita bread is served at just about every meal in the Middle East. It can be used for dipping, or to make delicious sandwiches in the pocket. In the Middle East, pita is made in brick ovens, where very high heat can be achieved. It is very hard to duplicate in a home kitchen, but this recipe, combined with high heat, comes very close.
There are several sauces you can pair with your pita. You can squeeze the sauce on like ketchup with a condiment dispenser or as a dip, au jus style:
- Tahini Sauce: This sesame based sauce is a staple in Middle Eastern cooking. It is commonly served with shawarma.
- Falafel Hot Sauce: Yes, it says falafel. Be careful, it is definitely spicy.
- Tarator Sauce: This is the secret sauce that Middle East restaurants won't tell you about. Well, the secret is out and this sauce is just as easy to make as it is delicious! Tarator combines tahini with garlic to make a fantastic sauce.
- 4 loaves pita bread (halved)
- 1 onion (sliced; red or yellow)
- 1 tomato (diced)
- 1 cucumber (sliced thin)
- For the Chicken:
- 2 pounds chicken breasts (trimmed of all visible fat)
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic (finely chopped)
- 1/4 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne
In a medium bowl combine all chicken ingredients together and allow to marinate at least two hours. Remove chicken from marinade and slice about 1/4 to 1/2 inch thin.
Pour 3-4 tablespoon of olive oil in a medium frying pan. Heat to a medium high and add chicken. Cook chicken for about 8 minutes, stirring occasionally for even cooking.
In a medium bowl combine chicken with veggies. Add desired sauce or condiment. Use desired amount.
Heat pita loaves in oven or microwave. Stuff pita with chicken and veggies.
Serve immediately with french fries.
Favorite salad dressing like ranch, Italian, etc