On a cold winter's night, nothing tastes quite so good as a casserole. This recipe - with chicken, rice, seasonings and your vegetable of choice - fits the bill. As a bonus, it's easy to prepare and cook in the slow cooker. You can cook the rice separately in water or chicken broth. If you choose that option, omit the water in the recipe.
This casserole is a meal in itself. Serve with French bread, fresh sourdough or thick-sliced whole-wheat bread and dry white wine. Choose a classic like chardonnay, pinot grigio or sauvignon blanc; if you've added white wine to the casserole and it's a drinkable bottle, that is an excellent choice to serve for dinner. If you feel like an adventure, crack open a bottle of Spanish albarino or Italian Orvieto. For dessert, offer up carrot cake with cream cheese frosting, chocolate layer cake or apple pie with vanilla ice cream.
- 1 cup uncooked rice, converted (Uncle Ben's)
- 2 soup cans water (with part white wine — about 1/4 cup — if desired)
- 1 can cream of chicken soup
- 1 can cream of mushroom soup
- 1 package dry onion soup mix
- 1 large carrot, sliced into pennies (optional)
- 1 cup of fresh or frozen cut green beans (optional)
- 1 medium green bell pepper, chopped (optional)
- 1 can of corn, drained (optional)
- 2 boneless chicken breasts
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- Place the rice in bottom of a crockpot. (Converted rice holds up a little better in the slow cooker, but it can turn to mush if cooked too long.)
- Pour water and wine (if desired) over the uncooked rice.
- Mix the cream of chicken and cream of mushroom soups and the dry onion soup mix in a bowl and pour over the top of the rice.
- Add chopped veggies, as desired. Choose one vegetable or several if you prefer. Green beans make an especially tasty and colorful choice.
- Place the chicken breasts on top of the rice and vegetables.
- Sprinkle with paprika.
- Cook on low for 4 1/2 to 6 1/2 hours, or until the chicken is well-cooked and the rice is tender.
Cook the Rice Separately
If you prefer, cook the rice separately first in water or chicken broth. Add the cooked rice to the bottom of the crockpot and omit the water and wine. Then proceed with the recipe.
You Might Also Like
|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Total Fat||79 g|
|Saturated Fat||38 g|
|Unsaturated Fat||25 g|
|Dietary Fiber||3 g|