This chicken divan is a chicken and rice casserole with broccoli and cheddar cheese. Diced cooked chicken is used in the dish, and a simple white sauce with sour cream makes a smooth and creamy topping.
Double the cheese for the casserole if you like lots of cheese.
Feel free to add some chopped green onions and paprika to the topping.
- 2 packages (10 ounces each) frozen broccoli spears or florets
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 2 to 3 cups cubed cooked chicken
- Salt and pepper or seasoned salt blend
- 2 cups
- Cooked rice
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons
- All-purpose flour
- 1 cup milk
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 cup
- Sour cream
- Cook broccoli according to package directions; drain well. Arrange broccoli in a 13x9x2-inch baking dish.
- Sprinkle with half the cheese; top with cubed chicken. Season with salt and pepper; spoon on the cooked rice.
- In a saucepan, melt butter over low heat. Blend in flour; add milk. Cook, stirring constantly, over medium heat until mixture thickens and bubbles.
- Remove from heat; stir in lemon juice and fold in the sour cream. Pour over chicken. Sprinkle with remaining cheese.
- Bake at 400 F for 15 to 20 minutes.
Serves 4 to 6.
Tips and Variations
- Make this casserole with a combination of cauliflower and broccoli florets.
- Use mild or sharp cheddar cheese or use a cheddar jack blend of cheeses.
|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Total Fat||42 g|
|Saturated Fat||20 g|
|Unsaturated Fat||13 g|
|Dietary Fiber||5 g|