|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Amount per serving|
|% Daily Value*|
|Total Fat 36g||46%|
|Saturated Fat 7g||37%|
|Total Carbohydrate 8g||3%|
|Dietary Fiber 3g||10%|
|*The % Daily Value (DV) tells you how much a nutrient in a food serving contributes to a daily diet. 2,000 calories a day is used for general nutrition advice.|
This tasty chicken salad is filled with flavor. The crunchy apples, cranberries, and nuts make it extra-special. This is an excellent way to use leftover chicken—or make the salad with leftover turkey. A fully cooked rotisserie chicken or convenient fully cooked chicken breast strips may be used as well. Below the recipe, you'll find basic instructions for cooking chicken breasts on the stovetop.
Diced apples, dried cranberries, celery, and a dash of curry powder add flavor to this chicken salad. The chopped pecans and walnuts in the salad add some extra flavor and interesting texture, but you can leave them out if you'd like.
Serve this well-seasoned chicken salad in sliced ciabatta bread or similar bread as a sandwich, or serve in lettuce leaves for a lighter luncheon. The salad can be served in tortillas or wraps as well. Light mayonnaise may be used in this salad.
- 3 to 4 chicken breasts
- Olive oil (as needed, for cooking)
- Optional: 1/4 cup walnuts (chopped, or slivered almonds or pecans, toasted)
- 1/4 cup dried cranberries
- 1/2 cup celery (diced)
- 2 to 3 tablespoons red onion (finely chopped)
- 1/2 cup apple (diced)
- 4 to 6 tablespoons mayonnaise (or to taste)
- 2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
- Optional: 1/8 teaspoon curry powder (or to taste)
- 1/4 teaspoon salt (or to taste)
- 1/8 teaspoon ground black pepper
- Lettuce leaves
- Optional: good-quality bread or sandwich buns (sliced)
Gather the ingredients.
Pound 3 or 4 chicken breasts between sheets of plastic wrap to an even thickness.
Place a lightly oiled skillet over medium heat. Add the chicken breasts to the hot skillet and cook them for about 6 minutes, or until browned.
Flip and continue cooking for about 5 minutes longer, or until thoroughly cooked. Avoid overcooking. The minimum safe temperature for chicken (USDA) is 165 F.
Put 1/4 cup of chopped walnuts, slivered almonds, or pecans in a dry skillet. Place the skillet over medium heat and cook, shaking the skillet and stirring and turning the nuts constantly, until they are lightly browned and aromatic. This should take about 3 to 4 minutes.
Pour the toasted nuts out onto a plate immediately to stop the cooking process.
Dice cooked chicken into bite size chunks.
In a bowl, combine the diced, cooked chicken, cranberries, celery, onion, apple, and walnuts, if using.
In a cup or small bowl, combine 4 tablespoons of mayonnaise. the lemon juice, curry powder, if using, salt, and pepper.
Stir the mayonnaise mixture into the chicken, adding more mayonnaise as needed for moisture and for flavor.
Line the bread or sandwich buns with lettuce leaves and spread the chicken salad on the lettuce. Or serve the chicken salad on lettuce-lined plates with slices of avocado or tomatoes.
- Instead of curry powder, consider adding a dash of Creole or Cajun seasoning to taste.
- Seedless red grapes, halved, may be used in place of the dried cranberries, or replace the dried cranberries with raisins or goji berries.