|Nutrition Facts (per serving)|
|Servings: 4 to 6|
|Amount per serving|
|% Daily Value*|
|Total Fat 52g||67%|
|Saturated Fat 12g||62%|
|Total Carbohydrate 1g||0%|
|Dietary Fiber 0g||1%|
|*The % Daily Value (DV) tells you how much a nutrient in a food serving contributes to a daily diet. 2,000 calories a day is used for general nutrition advice.|
Chicken salad is one of our favorite luncheon dishes, and we almost always make a chicken salad when we're expecting midday company. While the freshly roasted chicken breasts make a fabulous chicken salad, a rotisserie chicken from your local market is a perfectly acceptable shortcut, and it will taste just as good. Or use roasted turkey breast in the salad.
This chicken salad takes on extra fresh flavor with roasted chicken breast meat, a little lemon juice in the mayonnaise, and fresh chopped herbs. Serve this delightful chicken salad in sandwiches or in lettuce cups for a delicious lunch or light supper. We love this chicken salad in toasted buns with lettuce and tomato slices, and usually serve sandwiches with a side French fries or potato chips.
- 3 to 4 chicken breast halves (boneless, skin removed)
- Salt (to taste)
- Black pepper (freshly ground, to taste)
- 1/2 to 3/4 cup mayonnaise
- 1 teaspoon parsley (chopped, fresh)
- 2 teaspoons chives (chopped, fresh)
- 1 teaspoon dill (chopped, fresh or about 1/4 teaspoons dried dill weed)
- 1 1/2 teaspoons oregano or basil (chopped, fresh or about 1/2 teaspoon dried)
- 3 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
Gather the ingredients.
Line a baking pan with nonstick foil or spray foil with nonstick cooking spray. Preheat the oven to 400 F/200 C/Gas 6.
Arrange the chicken breasts on the baking pan and sprinkle with salt and freshly ground black pepper. Bake for about 15 minutes.
Turn and continue baking for 15 to 20 minutes longer, or until chicken is thoroughly cooked but not overcooked. The minimum safe temperature for chicken is 165 F/73.9 C.
Remove the chicken from the oven and let it cool. When the chicken is cool enough to handle, dice or chop it into small pieces.
Combine 1/2 cup of mayonnaise with the herbs and lemon juice. Mix the mayonnaise mixture with the chopped chicken and add more mayonnaise, as needed, to taste. Stir in salt and pepper, to taste.
Serve the chicken salad in sandwiches or on lettuce or mixed greens with avocado slices or sliced fresh tomatoes. Add chips or French fries for a satisfying lunch or easy light supper. Enjoy!
- Add about 1/4 cup of sliced celery and/or a few tablespoons of finely chopped sweet or red onion.
- Add 1/2 cup of chopped pecans to the chicken salad mixture.
- Make this salad with chopped roasted turkey breast.