Chicken salad is one of my favorite luncheon dishes, and I almost always make a chicken salad when we're expecting midday company. While the freshly roasted chicken breasts make a fabulous chicken salad, a rotisserie chicken from your local market is a perfectly acceptable shortcut, and it will taste just as good. Or use roasted turkey breast in the salad.
This chicken salad takes on extra fresh flavor with roasted chicken breast meat, a little lemon juice in the mayonnaise, and fresh chopped herbs. Serve this delightful chicken salad in sandwiches or in lettuce cups for a delicious lunch or light supper.I love this chicken salad in toasted buns with lettuce and tomato slices, and I usually serve sandwiches with a side French fries or potato chips.
- 3 to 4 chicken breast halves, boneless, skin removed
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 to 3/4 cup mayonnaise
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh parsley
- 2 teaspoons chopped fresh chives
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh dill or about 1/4 teaspoons dried dill weed
- 1 1/2 teaspoons chopped fresh oregano or basil, or about 1/2 teaspoon dried
- 3 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
Line a baking pan with nonstick foil or spray foil with nonstick cooking spray. Heat the oven to 400 F (200 C/Gas 6).
Arrange the chicken breasts on the baking pan and sprinkle with salt and freshly ground black pepper. Bake the for about 15 minutes. Turn and continue baking for 15 to 20 minutes longer, or until chicken is thoroughly cooked but not overcooked. The minimum safe temperature for chicken is 165° (73.9 °C).
Remove the chicken from the oven and let it cool. When the chicken is cool enough to handle, dice or chop it into small pieces.
Combine 1/2 cup of mayonnaise with the herbs and lemon juice. Mix the mayonnaise mixture with the chopped chicken and add more mayonnaise, as needed, to taste. Stir in salt and pepper, to taste.
Serve the chicken salad in sandwiches or on lettuce or mixed greens with avocado slices or sliced fresh tomatoes. Add chips or French fries for a satisfying lunch or easy light supper.
Serves 4 to 6.
Tips and Variations
- Add about 1/4 cup of sliced celery and/or a few tablespoons of finely chopped sweet or red onion.
- Chicken Salad With Pecans - Add 1/2 cup of chopped pecans to the chicken salad mixture.
- Make this salad with chopped roasted turkey breast.
|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Total Fat||52 g|
|Saturated Fat||12 g|
|Unsaturated Fat||18 g|
|Dietary Fiber||0 g|