|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Servings: 4 Servings|
|Amount per serving|
|% Daily Value*|
|Total Fat 31g||39%|
|Saturated Fat 9g||43%|
|Total Carbohydrate 51g||18%|
|Dietary Fiber 7g||24%|
|*The % Daily Value (DV) tells you how much a nutrient in a food serving contributes to a daily diet. 2,000 calories a day is used for general nutrition advice.|
I've really enjoyed watching my beloved childhood shawarma become more popular and introduce new people to the spices and flavors of Middle Eastern cooking. And that popularity has bred fabulous variations. Once a seasoning for roasted meats served on a sandwich, it's now used to season beans, vegetables and anything else you can think of. I totally approve.
And since I make large batches of shawarma seasoning and keep it in a jar in my cupboard, it's easy to reach for it when I'm testing recipes. Chicken meatballs are frequently in rotation on my dinner table but shawarma spice and a seasoned tomato sauce gave them a whole new flavor and another recipe for my dinner roster. Enjoy!
- For the Meatballs:
- 1 pound chicken breast (ground)
- 1 onion (peeled and small diced)
- 2 cloves garlic (peeled and minced)
- 1 egg
- 2 teaspoons shawarma spice (recipe below)
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup parsley (chopped)
- 1/4 cup breadcrumbs
- For the Tomato Sauce:
- 2 tablespoon olive oil (divided)
- 1 small onion (peeled and small diced)
- 1 tablespoon all purpose flour
- 6 ounces tomato paste
- 2 cups chicken stock
- 1/2 cup milk (or yogurt)
- 1 teaspoon shawarma spice (recipe below)
- 2 tablespoons parsley (chopped)
- 1/4 cup feta cheese (crumbled)
- salt to taste
- For the Shawarma Spice Mix:
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon coriander
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- Optional: pinch cayenne pepper
- Gather the ingredients.
- Pre-heat the oven to 400 F.
- Make the spice mixture by combining the cumin, coriander, garlic powder, cinnamon, turmeric, salt and black pepper in a small bowl. You can make extra and keep in a covered jar along with your other spices.
- In a large bowl, mix together the chicken, small diced onion, minced garlic, egg, shawarma spice, salt, parsley and breadcrumbs.
- Using a 1 oz. scoop (approximately) scoop out meatballs onto a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. You should get about 24 meatballs. Bake for 30 minutes.
- While the meatballs are cooking, make the sauce by adding 1 tablespoon of the olive oil and the diced onion to a large skillet and sauteing for a few minutes until the onion becomes translucent. Add the remaining tablespoon of olive oil and whisk in the flour until combined. Whisk in the chicken stock and then stir in the tomato paste and shawarma spice. Stir in the milk or yogurt and the chopped parsley. Season with additional salt if needed.
- When the meatballs are cooked, add them to the sauce and simmer for an additional 10 minutes. Add the crumbled feta cheese and serve warm.