This savory and satisfying chicken stew is chock full of peas, turnip, carrots, corn, potatoes, and other tasty vegetables and seasonings. Enjoy it with dumplings.
- 1 chicken (roaster; about 4 to 5 pounds; cut up)
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 1/2 cup sherry (or chicken broth)
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 8 to 10 small onions (white, halved)
- 1 cup peas (fresh or frozen)
- 1 cup carrots (sliced)
- 1/2 cup turnip (or rutabaga, diced)
- 1 cup potatoes (diced)
- 1/2 cup corn (fresh or frozen)
- 1/3 cup flour (mixed with 1/2 cup cool water to form a paste)
Heat the oil in a Dutch oven or heavy pot. Add the chicken pieces; brown on all sides. Add water, sherry, salt, and pepper. Cover and simmer for about 45 minutes.
Add onions, peas, carrots, turnip, potatoes, and corn; cover and simmer for another 35 to 45 minutes.
Stir in the flour and water mixture; continue cooking until stew is thickened, about 10 minutes. Serve over rice, if desired.