A variety of fresh vegetables and tomatoes add color and flavor to this chicken stew. The assortment of vegetables makes the stew nutritious and satisfying. Because the stew uses a cut-up chicken or chicken thighs, it's an excellent choice for budget-conscious home cooks.
Use bone-in chicken pieces or make the stew with boneless chicken thighs. Cook the stew in the oven or cook it low and slow in a crockpot. Either method you choose will yield delicious results.
Dill and thyme add flavor to the stew, along with garlic and tomatoes. The stew calls for zucchini -- yellow summer squash is another option.
- 3 1/2 pounds chicken pieces (a cut-up fryer or chicken thighs, bone-in)
- 3 medium potatoes
- 2 carrots
- 1 small zucchini
- 1 red or green bell pepper
- 2 medium onions
- 2 celery ribs
- 1 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 (14.5 oz) can tomatoes
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 1/2 cups chicken stock, unsalted or low sodium
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 teaspoon dried dill weed
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme leaves
- Pat the chicken with paper towels to dry.
- Peel the potatoes and cut them into cubes.
- Peel the carrots and slice them into 1/2-inch rounds.
- Slice the zucchini in half lengthwise and scoop out the seeds. Cut the zucchini into cubes.
- Slice the bell pepper into strips.
- Peel the onion, cut it into quarters, and slice.
- Slice the celery, on the diagonal, into 1-inch pieces.
- Preheat the oven to 350 F.
- Place the chicken and vegetables in a 4-quart casserole or Dutch oven. Sprinkle with salt and pepper. Add tomatoes and tomato liquid.
- Add garlic to chicken broth and pour over ingredients in casserole. Add the bay leaves and sprinkle with dill and thyme.
- Cover tightly and bake in the preheated oven for 2 hours, stirring after 1 hour.
- Slow Cooker: Layer the vegetables and chicken in the slow cooker with the tomatoes, chicken broth, and herbs. Cover and cook on low for about 6 to 8 hours.
|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Total Fat||54 g|
|Saturated Fat||15 g|
|Unsaturated Fat||21 g|
|Dietary Fiber||8 g|