|Nutrition Facts (per serving)|
|Amount per serving|
|% Daily Value*|
|Total Fat 54g||69%|
|Saturated Fat 15g||75%|
|Total Carbohydrate 49g||18%|
|Dietary Fiber 8g||30%|
|*The % Daily Value (DV) tells you how much a nutrient in a food serving contributes to a daily diet. 2,000 calories a day is used for general nutrition advice.|
A variety of fresh vegetables and tomatoes add color and flavor to this chicken stew. The assortment of vegetables makes the stew nutritious and satisfying. Since the stew uses a cut-up chicken or chicken thighs, it's an excellent choice for budget-conscious home cooks.
Use bone-in chicken pieces or make the stew with boneless chicken thighs. Cook the stew in the oven or cook it low and slow in a crock pot. Either method you choose will yield delicious results.
The perfect one-pot dish for a busy weeknight or when you want a cozy, comforting meal on a cold evening.
Click Play to See This Easy Chicken Stew Recipe Come Together
- 3 1/2 pounds chicken pieces (a cut-up fryer or chicken thighs, bone-in)
- 3 medium potatoes
- 2 carrots
- 1 small zucchini
- 1 red bell pepper, or green bell pepper
- 2 medium onions
- 2 celery ribs
- 1 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 (14 1/2-ounce) can tomatoes
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 1/2 cups chicken stock (unsalted or low-sodium)
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 teaspoon dried dill weed
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme leaves
Gather the ingredients.
Pat the chicken with paper towels to dry.
Peel the potatoes and cut them into cubes.
Peel the carrots and slice them into 1/2-inch rounds.
Slice the zucchini in half lengthwise and scoop out the seeds.
Cut the zucchini into cubes.
Slice the bell pepper into strips.
Peel the onion, cut it into quarters, and slice.
Slice the celery, on the diagonal, into 1-inch pieces.
Preheat the oven to 350 F. Place the chicken and vegetables in a 4-quart casserole or Dutch oven. Sprinkle with salt and pepper.
Add tomatoes and tomato liquid.
Add garlic to chicken broth and pour over ingredients in casserole.
Add the bay leaves and sprinkle with dill and thyme.
Cover tightly and bake in the preheated oven for 2 hours, stirring after 1 hour.
Slow Cooker Method
Layer the vegetables and chicken in the slow cooker with the tomatoes, chicken broth, and herbs.
Cover and cook on low for about 6 to 8 hours.
- The stew calls for zucchini, however, yellow summer squash is another great option.
- Add some cut-up sweet potatoes, green beans, or corn to the mix.
How to Store and Freeze
- Leftover chicken stew can be store in the refrigerator in an airtight container for three to four days.
- You can also freeze chicken stew in a freezer-safe container for up to three months.