Sweet bok choy and a tangy sauce using rice vinegar lend flavor to this stir-fried chicken recipe.
More Chinese Chicken Recipes
- 3 medium chicken breasts (boneless and skinless)
- 3 large bok choy (stalks with leaves)
- 1 teaspoon cornstarch
- 4 teaspoons water
- 4 to 5 tablespoons peanut oil (or vegetable oil for stir-frying, as needed)
- For the Marinade:
- 1 tablespoon rice wine (or dry sherry)
- 1 green onion (diced)
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- For the Sauce:
- 1/4 cup chicken broth (low sodium)
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1 teaspoon white rice vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon black rice vinegar
- 1 clove garlic (finely chopped)
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
Directions for Chicken in Garlic Sauce:
1. Cut the chicken into thin strips about 2-inches long. Add the rice wine or sherry, green onion and the cornstarch. Marinate the chicken in the refrigerator for 30 minutes.
2. While the chicken is marinating, prepare the bok choy and the sauce. Separate the bok choy leaves and stalks, and cut both cross-wise into thin strips.
3. Combine the sauce ingredients and set aside. Combine the cornstarch and water in a small bowl and set aside.
4. Heat the wok and add 2 tablespoons oil. When the oil is ready, add the chicken and stir-fry until it turns white and is nearly cooked. (Stir-fry in two batches if necessary). Drain the stir-fried chicken on paper towels.
5. Clean out the wok and add 2 to 3 tablespoons oil. When oil is ready, add the bok choy stalks. Stir-fry briefly and add the leaves.
6. Push the bok choy up to the sides of the wok and add the sauce in the middle. Turn up the heat to bring to a boil. Give the cornstarch and water mixture and quick re-stir and then add it to the sauce, stirring rapidly to thicken.
7. Add the chicken. Mix through and serve hot. Serves 4.
Reader Rating: 5 out of 5 stars
Reader Review: The sauce was so easy to make and very tasty--I used tofu and added other vegetables (brocoli and mushrooms). From Donna
More Chicken Stir-fry Recipes
Chicken and Asparagus
Chicken With Peaches
Garlic Chicken Stir-fry With Vegetables
Kung Pao Chicken Stir-fry
Leftover Chicken With Red and Green Peppers
Mango Chicken Stir-fry
Stir-fry Chicken With Red and Green Peppers
Ultimate Chicken Stir-fry