This chicken taco casserole is not only super easy, it's loaded with flavor. Chicken, mushrooms, chili peppers, and cheese are layered with torn corn tortillas. Green tortilla sauce and chili powder add flavor to the Tex-Mex style chicken casserole.
The recipe is an excellent choice if you're looking for a family-pleasing casserole.
- 1 package small corn tortillas
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh mushrooms
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 1 cup milk
- 1 small jar green taco sauce, about 8 ounces
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 2 cups cooked, diced chicken
- 1 small can of diced green chiles, 4 ounces
- 1 cup shredded Cheddar cheese
- 1 cup shredded Monterey Jack cheese or a Mexican blend of cheeses
- Heat the oven to 350 F (180 C/Gas 4).
- Lightly grease a 2 1/2-quart casserole.
- Cut or tear tortillas into bite-sized pieces. Set aside. In a saucepan over low heat, melt butter and saute the mushrooms. Remove mushrooms; set aside. Add flour to melted butter and mix until smooth. Slowly add the milk, stirring constantly, to form a medium-thick white sauce. Return the mushrooms to the sauce.
- Add the taco sauce and chili powder to the mushroom sauce. In a large shallow casserole dish make a layer of the tortilla pieces. On top of the tortilla pieces, place a layer of chicken pieces. Top the chicken with diced green chiles.
- Pour the sauce evenly over all then top with shredded cheeses. Cover and refrigerate for at least 2 hours or overnight. Bake in the preheated oven for about 1 hour.
You Might Also Like
|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Total Fat||49 g|
|Saturated Fat||23 g|
|Unsaturated Fat||15 g|
|Dietary Fiber||5 g|