This chicken casserole is easy to fix and bake, making it a great meal for a busy day. Feel free to use a rotisserie chicken to make preparation even easier.
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 cup onion (sliced)
- 1 large clove garlic (minced)
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 can/14 1/2 ounces tomatoes (diced)
- 6 corn tortillas (6-inch)
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil (more or less as needed for frying)
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 2 cups Mexican cheese (shredded or Monterey Jack cheese)
- 2 cups chicken (cooked, shredded)
- 6 green chiles (canned, whole, cut in half lengthwise)
- Heat 1 tablespoon of olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add onion, garlic, chili powder, cumin, and pepper; cook, frequently stirring, for 5 minutes.
- Place onion mixture in a blender container; add tomatoes. Blend until smooth.
- Add remaining 2 tablespoons of olive oil to the skillet over medium-high heat. Stir in pureed tomato mixture. Cook, constantly stirring until sauce cooks down and thickens, about 5 to 7 minutes. Transfer sauce to a bowl; set aside.
- Wipe skillet clean. Pour vegetable oil into a skillet, to a depth of about 1/4 inch. Heat over medium-high heat; fry tortillas, one at a time, just a few seconds on each side. Transfer tortillas to paper towels to drain.
- Place 2 tortillas in a shallow 2-quart baking dish. Layer with about one-quarter of the sauce, one-quarter of sour cream, one-quarter of shredded cheese, and 1 cup of chicken. Lay 6 chile slices on chicken. Top with 2 more tortillas. Repeat to make another layer. Top with remaining tortillas, sauce, sour cream, and cheese.
- Cover casserole with foil and bake at 350 F for about 30 minutes.
- Cool chicken tortilla casserole slightly before serving.
|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Total Fat||83 g|
|Saturated Fat||24 g|
|Unsaturated Fat||42 g|
|Dietary Fiber||9 g|