|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Servings: 4-6 servings|
|Amount per serving|
|% Daily Value*|
|Total Fat 36g||46%|
|Saturated Fat 7g||36%|
|Total Carbohydrate 20g||7%|
|Dietary Fiber 4g||16%|
|*The % Daily Value (DV) tells you how much a nutrient in a food serving contributes to a daily diet. 2,000 calories a day is used for general nutrition advice.|
Waldorf salad typical contains chopped apples, celery, and walnuts in a mayonnaise dressing and is served as a side dish. This sandwich takes the salad and puts it between two pieces of raisin bread to make a wonderful and different sandwich.
You can use canned chicken for this recipe, or buy a rotisserie chicken and use the shredded chicken breast. This recipe is also a great way to use up leftover cooked chicken, whether light or dark meat. If you are going to grill or broil chicken for your dinner, cook an extra breast or two and save it for this recipe.
Flavor this recipe as you'd like. I like using honey mustard, but you can omit that and use more yogurt or mayonnaise. Some herbs that would be delicious in this recipe are thyme, tarragon, and basil. You could also use raisins or dried currants in place of the dried cranberries.
I like using Granny Smith apples in this recipe, but any other crisp eating apple will do. The apple should be tart, not too sweet, and have a nice crunchy texture. Other varieties that would be good in this recipe are Crispin, Jonathan, Honeycrisp, and Rome Beauty.
This recipe can also be made with other meats. Some finely chopped ham would be delicious, or use drained and flaked canned salmon or tuna. You could also use other breads, although I think that cinnamon raisin bread really adds a nice touch to the sweet and tart salad.
If you want to put this sandwich in a lunchbox, it would be better packed unassembled. Put the salad in a container, and put the lettuce in a plastic sandwich bag. The bread slices should be put in another bag. Pack the whole thing in an insulated lunchbox with frozen gel packs. When it's time to eat lunch, the diner assembles the sandwich and digs in.
- 2 (12-ounce) cans chicken, drained, or 2 cup shredded cooked chicken
- 1-2 chopped unpeeled Granny Smith apples
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
- 1/2 cup dried cranberries or dried cherries
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons plain yogurt
- 2 tablespoons honey mustard
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 8 slices cinnamon raisin bread
- leaf lettuce or butter lettuce
- Gather the ingredients.
- Combine the chicken, Granny Smith apples, celery, walnuts, dried cranberries, mayonnaise, yogurt, honey mustard, lemon juice, and salt in a medium bowl and mix well.
- Make sandwiches with bread and lettuce. You can store the chicken salad recipe filling in the refrigerator up to two days, tightly covered.