|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Servings: 4 to 6 Servings|
|Amount per serving|
|% Daily Value*|
|Total Fat 69g||88%|
|Saturated Fat 25g||125%|
|Total Carbohydrate 12g||4%|
|Dietary Fiber 1g||2%|
|*The % Daily Value (DV) tells you how much a nutrient in a food serving contributes to a daily diet. 2,000 calories a day is used for general nutrition advice.|
Delicious boneless chicken breasts are browned in the skillet then served with a wonderful and really easy cream cheese and Parmesan cheese sauce. The sauce is similar to a Mornay sauce with the addition of cream cheese. It's rich, creamy, and full of flavor.
Serve this simple chicken and Parmesan sauce with hot buttered noodles and creamed spinach or fresh sliced tomatoes for a meal your family will love.
Click Play to See This Recipe Come Together
- 4 to 6 chicken breast halves (boneless, without skin)
- Salt (to taste)
- Black pepper (to taste)
- 1 to 2 tablespoons olive oil
- For the Sauce:
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 cloves garlic (finely minced)
- 4 green onions (thinly sliced)
- 4 ounces cream cheese
- 1 cup milk (or half-and-half)
- 1 cup parmesan cheese (freshly shredded; about 2/3 to 3/4 cup grated)
- 1/8 teaspoon black pepper
Note: while there are multiple steps to this recipe, this chicken dish is broken down into workable categories to help you better plan for cooking.
Gather the ingredients.
Put chicken breasts between sheets of plastic wrap or in a plastic food storage bag and gently pound to thin evenly.
Sprinkle the chicken breasts lightly with salt and pepper.
Heat olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat.
Add chicken and cook for about 5 to 6 minutes on each side, until nicely browned and cooked through. Juices should run clear when the thickest part of a chicken breast is cut with a knife.
The minimum safe temperature for chicken is 165 F. Test with an instant-read thermometer inserted into the thickest portions. Chicken breasts can become dry if overcooked.
Next, you will make the sauce.
For the Sauce
Meanwhile, in a saucepan, melt butter over medium-low heat.
Sauté the garlic and green onions for about 1 minute.
Add the cream cheese, milk or half-and-half, and Parmesan cheese and heat until hot and smooth.
Stir in pepper and salt, to taste.
Ladle sauce over the chicken and garnish with parsley.
Serve and enjoy!
- If the chicken breasts are large, slice them in half horizontally to make two cutlets of even thickness. Alternatively, buy pre-sliced chicken breast cutlets.
- Serve the chicken over hot cooked noodles or another kind of pasta, or serve with rice or roasted potatoes. Add cooked greens, broccoli, or steamed green beans, or serve with a tossed salad.
- Replace the chicken with turkey breast cutlets.
- For Tuscan flavor, add 1/2 cup of chopped sun-dried tomatoes (in oil, drained) and a tablespoon or more of fresh chopped basil leaves.
- Substitute heavy cream for the cream cheese.
- If you prefer cheddar cheese, add about 1 cup, shredded, in place of the parmesan.
What is a Serving Size of Chicken?
Boneless chicken breasts often weigh in at 8 to 10 ounces, while a serving size is about half of that, or about 4 ounces. Choose smaller chicken breasts for meals or turn a large chicken breast into two smaller serving-size cutlets by slicing it in half horizontally.