If you love fried chicken but don't love the extra calories, you are in luck! This oven-fried chicken offers all the crispy goodness of deep-fried chicken without all of the fat. Simple ingredients like mayonnaise and honey mustard add a zesty tang, and the panko breadcrumbs create a nice, crispy crust. Serve up this chicken on a weeknight for the family as it is sure to be a crowd pleaser.
- Heat oven to 400 F. Line a baking pan with foil and lightly grease the foil or spray with nonstick cooking spray.
- Combine the mayonnaise, honey mustard, tarragon or thyme, and parsley in a small bowl. Spread over the chicken to coat thoroughly.
- Combine the panko breadcrumbs and fine breadcrumbs with the salt, pepper, and paprika, if using, in a bowl or pie plate.
- Press the chicken breasts into the breadcrumb mixture, turning to coat thoroughly. Arrange chicken on the prepared baking pan.
- Bake for 25 minutes; flip over and bake for about 10 to 15 minutes longer, or until cooked through.
Tips and Variations
If you would rather skip the step of flipping the chicken while it bakes, you can place the coated chicken breasts on a cooling rack set over a baking sheet. The air will circulate underneath the chicken and crisp up the underside while baking.
If you would rather not have the slight tinge of sweetness in your oven-fried chicken, you can simply replace the honey mustard with just plain Dijon; mix with the mayonnaise and dried herbs and spread on the chicken as instructed. And, although this recipe is quick and easy, if you are looking for a shortcut you can skip the dried herbs in the mayo mixture and use seasoned breadcrumbs instead of the plain when coating the chicken. To add a bit of spice to this recipe, you can mix in a bit of hot sauce with the mayonnaise and mustard.
This crispy panko-coated chicken is delicious as the star of the meal alongside vegetables and perhaps mashed potatoes, but there are other ways you can serve this delicious oven-fried chicken, perfect if you have leftovers. Turn the chicken breasts into a version of chicken Milanese and top with a salad of arugula and grape tomatoes dressed with balsamic vinaigrette, or slice and place atop a leafy green salad chock full of cucumbers, shredded carrot, and sliced olives drizzled with an olive oil-lemon juice emulsion. For a quick lunch, cut into strips and place inside a tortilla filled with your favorite veggies, or place on a multigrain bun and top with lettuce, tomato, and onion along with a little bit of mayo.
|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Total Fat||90 g|
|Saturated Fat||23 g|
|Unsaturated Fat||32 g|
|Dietary Fiber||1 g|