This chicken stew is topped with easy fluffy drop dumplings. The dumplings, cooked on the top of the stewed chicken, become soft and fluffy with a biscuit-like texture. Ground poultry seasoning and some chopped parsley add flavor and color to the dumplings.
Serve this easy and delicious chicken stew with a tossed salad for a satisfying dinner.
For egg-free dumplings, use this recipe with the addition of poultry seasoning and parsley.
- 1 chicken (about 5 pounds)
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 4 cups water
- 1 rib celery (diced)
- 1/2 cup onion (chopped)
- 1 clove garlic (minced)
- 1/2 teaspoon thyme (dried)
- 1 teaspoon parsley (dried)
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 teaspoon seasoned salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- For the Dumplings:
- 1 cup flour (4 1/2 ounces)
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon poultry seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon shortening
- 1 tablespoon parsley (minced)
- 1 large egg
- 3 tablespoons milk
- Gather the ingredients.
- Melt the butter with the olive oil in a Dutch oven or stockpot over medium heat.
- Add the chicken pieces and brown on all sides in the butter and olive oil mixture.
- Add the water, celery, onion, garlic, thyme, parsley, bay leaf, seasoned salt, and pepper. Cover and bring to a boil; simmer for 1 to 2 hours, or until the chicken is tender.
- Remove the chicken pieces from the pot. Remove the meat from the bones; chop and return the meat to pot.
- Put the flour in a small bowl or cup; blend in enough cold water to make a smooth paste. Add the flour paste to the hot stew, stirring until thickened.
- Gather the ingredients
- In a bowl, combine the 1 cup of flour, baking powder, poultry seasoning and salt; blend well.
- Cut the shortening into flour mixture; add 1 tablespoon minced parsley.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together egg and milk; add to dry mixture and stir with fork until well blended.
- Drop dumplings by teaspoonfuls onto chicken pieces. Cover and steam for 10 minutes, or until dumplings are fluffy and done inside.
- Add 1 teaspoon of fresh snipped chives to the dumplings along with the parsley.
|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|