Marsala wine flavors this simple skillet chicken and grapes recipe. The marinated chicken is sauteed with shallots or green onions and then it is simmered with Marsala wine. Halved grapes are added to the chicken for a burst of fruit flavor and color.
Serve this easy dish with hot cooked rice and broccoli, green beans, or carrots.
Classic Chicken Marsala
- 4 boneless, skinless chicken breast halves*
- 1/3 cup dry Marsala wine
- kosher salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 cup chicken broth, low sodium
- 1/2 cup seedless green grapes, halved
- 1 1/2 teaspoon cornstarch
- Place the chicken breast halves in a nonreactive container. Add the Marsala wine to the container and turn the chicken to coat all sides. Cover and refrigerate for 1 to 2 hours.
- Remove chicken from wine marinade and sprinkle lightly with kosher salt and pepper. Return marinade to refrigerator.
- Heat the butter and olive oil in a large skillet or saute pan over medium; add chicken breast halves. Cook for about 5 minutes, or until browned. Turn the chicken over and add the shallots to the pan. Continue cooking for about 5 minutes longer, or until the other side is browned.
- Add the reserved Marsala wine and the chicken broth to the pan with the chicken. Bring to a simmer. Cover and cook for 18 to 25 minutes, or until the chicken is thoroughly cooked. This will depend largely on the thickness and size of the chicken breasts. The safe minimum temperature for chicken is 165 F (74 C). See Meat Temperature Chart and Safe Cooking Tips
- Remove the chicken to a serving platter and keep warm.
- Combine the 1 1/2 teaspoons of cornstarch with 1 tablespoon of water. Add the cornstarch mixture to the juices in the pan and continue cooking over medium heat until thickened. Add the grape halves and heat through. Spoon the sauce with grapes over the chicken.
- Serve with hot cooked rice and a vegetable side dish.
*If the chicken breasts are quite large, slice them horizontally to make two thinner cutlets. If necessary, reduce the cooking time.
You Might Also Like
|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Total Fat||76 g|
|Saturated Fat||22 g|
|Unsaturated Fat||31 g|
|Dietary Fiber||0 g|