This skillet chicken recipe is easy to prepare, and the combination of flavors is fabulous. Serve with rotini, fusilli, or a similar pasta for a great-tasting everyday meal.
We used boneless chicken breasts in the recipe, but chicken tenders, thighs, or even turkey tenderloins or cutlets can be used.
- 3 to 4 chicken breast halves
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium sweet onion (quartered, thinly sliced)
- 4 to 6 ounces portobello mushrooms (coarsely chopped)
- 2 small zucchini (quartered lengthwise and sliced 1/4" thick)
- 3 cloves garlic (minced)
- 3/4 cup chicken broth
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest
- 2 tablespoons dry white wine (optional)
- 12 large basil leaves (chopped)
- 12 to 18 grape tomatoes (halved)
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 16 ounces fusilli or similar pasta (cooked and drained)
Cut the chicken breasts or tenders into 1-inch pieces. Sprinkle lightly with kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper.
In a large skillet over medium heat melt the butter with olive oil. Add the chicken, onion, and mushrooms; cook, stirring, until onions and mushrooms are just tender and chicken is lightly browned.
Add the zucchini, garlic, and chicken broth; bring to a simmer. Cover and cook for 8 to 10 minutes, or until zucchini is just tender.
Add lemon juice and zest and wine; cook, uncovered, for 5 minutes.
Add chopped basil, tomatoes, and cream; cook for 2 to 3 minutes longer. Taste and add salt and pepper, as needed.
Toss with hot cooked pasta.