Boneless chicken breasts are a top choice for quick and easy dinners. Chicken breasts take just minutes to saute or bake, and the seasoning possibilities are seemingly endless. This recipe is a perfect example of how the basic boneless chicken breast can be elevated by adding some basic herbs, some mushrooms, and a bit of wine. You'll have a delicious, perfectly cooked entree in less than 30 minutes!
Serve this tasty chicken dish with potatoes, rice, or hot buttered noodles for a delicious family meal.
- 4 boneless chicken breast halves (without skin)
- 3/4 cup flour (plus 1 tablespoon for the sauce)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon coarsely ground pepper
- 3/4 teaspoon dried leaf tarragon
- 1/2 teaspoon dried leaf basil
- 3 large eggs
- 1 tablespoon water
- 3 tablespoons olive oil (divided)
- 2 tablespoons butter (divided)
- 8 ounces sliced mushrooms
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- 2 1/2 tablespoons lemon juice
- Garnish: 3 tablespoons freshly chopped parsley or chives, for garnish
- Flatten chicken breasts; place plastic wrap over each chicken breast and gently pound with the smooth side of a meat mallet until uniform thickness.
- Put the flour in a wide, shallow bowl; remove 1 tablespoon of flour from the bowl and set aside for the sauce. To the bowl, add the salt, pepper, tarragon, and basil. In another shallow bowl, beat eggs with the water.
- In a large skillet over medium heat, melt 1 tablespoon of butter with 1 tablespoon olive oil.
- Dip chicken pieces into egg, coating well, then into the flour and herb mixture, turning several times. When chicken is well coated, place in hot butter and oil in the skillet. Brown the chicken on both sides for about 3 minutes per side, or until juices run clear and chicken is browned. Remove to a plate and keep warm.
- Add mushrooms and remaining 1 tablespoon oil and 1 tablespoon butter to the skillet. Saute for about 4 to 5 minutes, until the mushrooms are tender and browned. Add the broth, wine, and lemon juice; simmer for about 3 minutes to reduce slightly.
- Combine the reserved 1 tablespoon of flour with the remaining 1 tablespoon butter, stirring until smooth.
- Add to the broth and wine mixture, stirring and cooking for about one minute, until thickened. Add the chicken breasts back to the skillet.
- Heat until chicken is hot. Serve this chicken garnished with fresh parsley or chives if desired.
|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Total Fat||95 g|
|Saturated Fat||27 g|
|Unsaturated Fat||41 g|
|Dietary Fiber||3 g|