Serve this easy, hearty soup as a first course or main dish with a salad.
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1/2 cup onion (chopped)
- 1/2 pound ground beef (lean)
- 2 cloves garlic (minced)
- 1 can/4 ounces green chile (chopped)
- 1/2 red bell pepper (sliced)
- 4 tablespoons flour
- 1 can/14 1/2 ounces tomatoes (diced)
- 2 1/2 cups beef broth
- 1 to 2 cups kidney beans (cooked or canned; drained and rinsed)
- 2 tablespoons parsley (fresh, chopped)
- salt to taste
- black pepper to taste
- In a Dutch oven or large pot, heat oil over medium heat. Add onion and ground beef and cook, stirring for about 5 minutes until beef is browned.
- Add garlic, bell pepper, chopped green chile pepper, and flour and then stir to blend.
- Cook, stirring for 1 minute. Stir in tomatoes and broth. Bring to a boil. Stir in beans and season with salt and pepper to taste. Simmer for 15 to 20 minutes.
- Sprinkle with fresh chopped parsley and serve with cornbread or crusty French or Italian bread.
Related Soup Recipes
|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Total Fat||15 g|
|Saturated Fat||4 g|
|Unsaturated Fat||7 g|
|Dietary Fiber||19 g|