The chile rellenos casserole is prepared and refrigerated overnight or for about 8 to 10 hours. This is a simple and tasty brunch or main dish casserole made with mild green chile peppers, eggs, and cheese.
Use a shredded Mexican cheese blend or taco blend for more heat and spice.
- 6 slices white bread
- 1 1/2 cups (6 ounces) shredded sharp Cheddar cheese
- 1 1/2 cups (6 ounces) shredded Monterey Jack cheese
- 2 cans (4 ounces each) chopped green chiles, drained
- 6 eggs, beaten
- 2 cups milk
- 2 teaspoons paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon dried whole oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon dry mustard
- Place bread in a lightly buttered 9-by-13-by-2-inch baking dish.
- Sprinkle cheddar and Monterey Jack cheeses over the bread; top with green chiles.
- In a bowl, whisk together the eggs and remaining ingredients; pour over cheese.
- Cover and refrigerate the casserole for 8 to 10 hours.
- Remove from refrigerator; let stand 30 minutes.
- Heat the oven to 325 F.
- Bake, uncovered, in the preheated oven for 50 minutes. Serve immediately. The casserole will puff up while baking and then settle as it cools.
- Serve with salsa, sour cream, or guacamole.
Makes about 6 to 8 servings.
You Might Also Like
|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Total Fat||29 g|
|Saturated Fat||16 g|
|Unsaturated Fat||9 g|
|Dietary Fiber||1 g|