|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Amount per serving|
|% Daily Value*|
|Total Fat 14g||19%|
|Saturated Fat 5g||24%|
|Total Carbohydrate 43g||15%|
|Dietary Fiber 13g||46%|
|*The % Daily Value (DV) tells you how much a nutrient in a food serving contributes to a daily diet. 2,000 calories a day is used for general nutrition advice.|
This ground beef chili is made with canned or cooked dry beans. The beef mixture is slowly simmered and then the cooked or canned beans are added to the mixture. Finely chopped jalapeno peppers are added for more heat, but they are optional.
Serve this great tasting beef and bean chili with freshly baked cornbread and a salad.
Click Play to See This Chili con Carne Recipe Come Together
- 1 1/2 cups dried red beans (or 2 (15-ounce) cans red kidney beans or small red beans, drained)
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 to 1 1/2 pounds lean ground beef (85% to 90% lean)
- 1 large onion, sliced
- 1 green bell pepper, chopped
- 1 (14.5-ounce) can tomatoes
- 1 (8-ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1 (4.5-ounce) can mild green chile peppers
- Optional: 2 teaspoons jalapeño pepper, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- Dash cayenne pepper, or to taste
- Dash ground cloves
- 1 small bay leaf
Gather the ingredients.
Prepare the beans unless using cans. Rinse dry beans, cover with cold water to a depth of about 3 inches above the beans; let them soak overnight or follow the soaking directions on the package.
Drain the beans and transfer them to a large saucepan; cover with fresh water.
Cover the pan and simmer for about 1 hour or until the beans are tender. Drain and place to the side.
Heat the vegetable oil in a large skillet, then brown the ground beef, onion, and bell pepper together until ground beef is no longer pink.
Add the tomatoes, tomato sauce, chile and jalapeño peppers, seasonings and bay leaf and stir.
Cover and simmer for 1 hour and 30 minutes, adding a little water if needed to thin out. Check and stir frequently.
Add the cooked or canned beans and heat through.
Serve in individual bowls with your choice of toppings and enjoy!
- If using canned beans, drain them in a colander and rinse with cool water and continue with the remaining instructions as stated above.