This ground beef chili is made with canned or cooked dry beans. The beef mixture is slowly simmered and then the cooked or canned beans are added to the mixture. Finely chopped jalapeno peppers are added for more heat, but they are optional.
Serve this great tasting beef and bean chili with freshly baked cornbread and a salad.
- 1 1/2 cups red beans (dried) or 2 cans (15 ounces each) red kidney beans or small red beans (drained)
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 large onion (quartered, sliced)
- 1 green bell pepper (chopped)
- 1 to 1 1/2 pounds lean ground beef (85% to 90% lean)
- 1 can (14.5 ounces) tomatoes
- 1 can mild green chile peppers
- Optional: 2 teaspoons jalapeño chile pepper (finely chopped)
- 1 can (8 ounces) tomato sauce
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- Dash cayenne pepper (or to taste)
- Dash cloves (ground)
- 1 small bay leaf
- Prepare the beans unless using cans. Rinse dry beans, cover with cold water to a depth of about 3 inches above the beans, and let them soak overnight. Or follow the soaking directions on the package.
- Drain the beans and transfer them to a large saucepan; cover with fresh water. Cover the pan and simmer for about 1 hour, or until the beans are tender. Drain.
- If using canned beans, drain them in a colander.
- In a large skillet, brown the ground beef, onion, and bell pepper in oil.
- Add the tomatoes, tomato sauce, peppers, and seasonings.
- Cover and simmer for 1 hour and 30 minutes, adding a little water if needed to keep from sticking. Check and stir frequently.
- Add the cooked or canned beans and heat through.
Tips and Variations
- Beef and Pinto Bean Chili - Use canned or dry pinto beans in the recipe instead of red beans.
- Replace the jalapeño pepper and cayenne with about 1/2 to 1 teaspoon of crushed red pepper flakes, or to taste.
- Beef and Black Bean Chili - Replace the red beans with canned or cooked black beans.
You Might Also Like
|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Total Fat||14 g|
|Saturated Fat||5 g|
|Unsaturated Fat||6 g|
|Dietary Fiber||13 g|