Look, I’ll admit that this is not a guaranteed kid-pleaser. But the grown ups found it really refreshing, and it’s a nice way to begin a summer meal. It’s also vegetarian.
Chilled soups are a wonderful way to enjoy soup in warm weather. The three vegetables balance each other in texture and flavor.
- 1 pound Yukon gold potatoes
- 1½ cups cooked corn kernels (fresh or frozen is fine)
- 1 cup diced cooked beets (see Note)
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- Juice and zest of 1 orange
- Juice of 1 lemon
- Salt and pepper to taste
- ¼ cup crème fraiche (see Note) or sour cream
- 2 tablespoons heavy cream
Gather the ingredients.
Peel the potatoes and cut them into 1-inch cubes. Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Add the potatoes and cook until tender, about 20 minutes. Drain and let cool completely.
Place the cooled potatoes, corn, beets, broth, orange juice and zest, and lemon juice into a blender and puree until smooth. Season with salt and pepper. Chill for at least 2 hours.
In a small bowl, mix together the creme fraiche or sour cream with the heavy cream. Ladle the chilled soup into bowls, and swirl a tablespoon of the cream mixture over the top of the soup. You can also serve this in glasses for sipping.
- There are lots of nice packaged cooked beets on the market these days, which makes cooking with them much easier.
- If you want to make your own cooked beets, there are two ways to do so:
- Steam Method: Set a steamer basket in a saucepan with 2 inches simmering water. Add beets (peeled and cut into 1/2-inch pieces). Cover and steam until beets are tender when pierced with a knife, 15 to 20 minutes.
- Boil Method: Place beets (peeled and cut into 1-inch pieces) in a large pot of boiling salted water. Reduce heat to a simmer and cook until beets are tender when pierced with a knife, 15 to 20 minutes; drain.
- Beets are high in folates, B-complex vitamins and a good source of a number of minerals, as well as a potent combo of antioxidents. They can stain, though, so make sure not to prepare them on a porous counter, and just wash your hands well afterwards with hot soapy water (lemon juice can also help), or use gloves.
- Crème fraiche is available in the cheese section of the dairy section of most supermarkets, and you can also order it online. It’s smooth and tangy and it can be used in recipes either savory or sweet. It’s like sour cream on steroids, very rich and very creamy.