|Nutrition Facts (per serving)|
|Servings: 4 to 6|
|Amount per serving|
|% Daily Value*|
|Total Fat 3g||4%|
|Saturated Fat 2g||10%|
|Total Carbohydrate 26g||10%|
|Dietary Fiber 1g||3%|
|Total Sugars 25g|
|Vitamin C 2mg||11%|
|*The % Daily Value (DV) tells you how much a nutrient in a food serving contributes to a daily diet. 2,000 calories a day is used for general nutrition advice.|
Almond float is a refreshing dessert that can be served with canned or fresh fruit. Also known as Chinese jello, this recipe uses unflavored gelatin that is flavored with the addition of almond extract and evaporated milk. Once the gelatin has firmed up, it is then cut into squares and served topped with canned fruit cocktail or your favorite fruit toppings. We have provided some ideas for toppings below the recipe.
This Chinese fruit jello recipe is a great cooking project to get the kids involved in helping as it is so simple to make. It's a good dessert to serve during the summer months since it is so light, or as a tasty afternoon snack. Almond float is the perfect finishing touch for a meal of Chinese food or stir-frys.
Gather the ingredients.
In a medium bowl, combine the gelatin and the sugar, stirring to mix them well.
Pour the boiling water over the gelatin/sugar mixture, and stir until completely dissolved.
Stir in the almond extract, evaporated milk, and the cold water, mixing well.
Pour the gelatin into a bowl or serving mold if desired.
Chill until firm.
To serve, first cut the gelatin into 1-inch squares or diamonds, then serve topped with the canned fruit and the syrup from the can. The almond float may be prepared in advance and refrigerated (not frozen) until ready to serve.
- It takes up to four hours for the gelatin to set.
- Make the fruit jello up the night before and before serving, slice it into squares, and top it with the desired fruit.
- You can substitute lemon or vanilla extract for the almond extract.
- Use canned mandarin oranges or other canned fruit in place of the fruit cocktail.
- Instead of using canned fruit, top the almond float off with fresh fruit including combinations such as ripe strawberries (hulled, rinsed, and chopped), raspberries and blueberries, sliced peaches, chunks of pineapple, or whatever fruit you desire.
How to Store
- Leftover almond float can be stored in the refrigerator where it will keep for up to three days.