This recipe for beggar's chicken, reprinted with permission from Madame Wong's Long-life Chinese Cookbook, is a surefire hit that bursts with flavor and protein.
- Rub cleaned chicken with salt. Rub ginger juice inside the chicken. Set aside.
- Heat 2 tablespoons oil in the wok. Stir-fry scallion. Add pork. Stir on high heat. Add sherry, soy sauce, and sugar. Remove to bowl.
- Heat 2 tablespoons more oil in the wok. Stir-fry cabbage. Pour in the meat mixture. Stir-fry 1 minute. (Add more sugar if desired).
- Stuff meat mixture into chicken. Wrap in foil and place in pan.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Bake chicken 1 hour. Then turn heat to 400 F and bake 15 more minutes.
- Remove foil. Remove stuffing from chicken to platter. Cut chicken into bite-sized pieces. Arrange on top of stuffing. Serve hot.
|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Total Fat||49 g|
|Saturated Fat||14 g|
|Unsaturated Fat||20 g|
|Dietary Fiber||0 g|