Want to impress your friends with how hard you worked to prepare a special dinner without breaking a sweat? Service this exotic, complex looking dish, and then bask in their adulation. After you share the recipe, they'll be stunned to learn how little fuss it took to prepare it. Which may be a good reason to keep the secret to yourself!
- 1 pound boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon Chinese rice wine or dry sherry
- 2 teaspoons freshly squeezed ginger juice
- 1 level tablespoon cornstarch
- For the Sauce:
- 2 tablespoons hoisin sauce
- 2 tablespoons dark soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1 teaspoon granulated sugar
- 1 clove garlic
- 1 tablespoon green onion
- 1/4 cup cashews
- 4 tablespoons oil for stir-frying, as needed
- Add the salt, rice wine or sherry, ginger juice and cornstarch to the chicken cubes, using chopsticks to mix it in and adding the cornstarch last.
- Marinate the chicken for 20 minutes.
- While the chicken marinates, mix the sauce ingredients in a small bowl, and set aside.
- Finely chop the garlic.
- Wash and chop the green onion on a diagonal into 1-inch pieces.
- Roast the cashews in a heavy skillet over medium heat, shaking the pan continuously so that the nuts do not burn. Roast for 5 minutes, or until the cashews are browned. Remove from the pan.
- Heat the wok over medium-high to high heat. Add 2 tablespoons oil. When the oil is hot, add the garlic. Stir-fry until aromatic (about 30 seconds).
- Add the chicken cubes. Stir-fry until they change color and are 80 percent cooked through. Remove from the wok.
- Add 2 tablespoons oil. When the oil is hot, add the stir-frying vegetables. Stir-fry as needed, then push up to the sides of the wok.
- Add the sauce and the chicken. Heat everything through.
- Serve the chicken and vegetables with the roasted cashews and the green onion as garnish.
|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Total Fat||19 g|
|Saturated Fat||5 g|
|Unsaturated Fat||8 g|
|Dietary Fiber||1 g|