Delicious Chilli Potatoes is an Indian adaptation of a Chinese recipe! It makes for a terrific snack or side dish. Chilli Potatoes is so easy to make, once you learn how to cook it, you'll be tempted to throw it together every chance you get.
- Approx 1 lb. (500 grams) frozen French fries (we personally prefer oven baked fries)
- 3 tbsps. vegetable/canola/sunflower cooking oil to deep fry (you won't require this if you are using oven baked fries)
- 3 tbsps. vegetable/ canola/ sunflower cooking oil
- 2 large onions sliced thinly
- 5 to 6 cloves of garlic chopped very fine
- 1 medium bunch spring onion chopped coarsely (approximately 1/4 lb or 125 gms)
- 3 tbsps. tomato ketchup
- 1 tbsp. green/ red chili sauce
- 2 tbsp. soy sauce
- 1 tsp. vinegar
- 1 chicken stock cube
- 1 large or 2 medium sized green bell peppers/ capsicum pith seeds removed (discard) and cut into 2" square pieces (optional)
- Salt to taste
- 1 tsp. toasted sesame seeds to garnish with
Deep fry or oven bake the French fries until golden brown and crispy and then remove from the cooking oil and drain on paper towels. Keep aside for later use. Don't fry too far ahead as they will turn soggy. I love using the oven baked fries for this recipe as you get the same end result without all the deep frying! If they are available where you live, and you are using them, simply follow the package instructions to prepare. You can even make your own fries if that's how you prefer it. Just ensure they are crispy fried when done.
To make the sauce, heat the 3 tbsps of cooking oil in a wok or deep pan on a medium to high heat.
Now add the onion, garlic, and spring onion (keep a little aside - about 2 tbsp - for garnishing with later). Fry till soft.
Add the tomato ketchup, green/ red chili sauce and soy sauce, vinegar and the chicken stock cube and cook for another 2 minutes, stirring continuously.
Now add the French fries and green bell peppers (if using). Mix well and check for salt. Season if required. Cook for 30 seconds more. This dish should have almost no gravy - just a coating sauce. If it is too dry, add 1/4 cup of water and mix well.
Turn off the heat and spoon the Chilli Potatoes onto a serving platter. Garnish with some chopped spring onion and the toasted sesame seeds. Serve with toothpicks so everyone can help themselves.