These salt and pepper spareribs are always a crowd-pleaser and a very popular dish in Chinese cuisine.
We learned about this delicious salt and pepper spareribs recipe from a Taiwanese chef but we have adjusted the recipe for easier to get hold of all the ingredients.
- For the Chinese Pepper Salt:
- 1 tablespoon Sichuan peppercorn
- 2 tablespoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- For the Marinade:
- 1 tablespoon rice wine or Shaoxing rice wine
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 tablespoon black vinegar
- 1 teaspoon caster sugar
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 egg, beaten
- 2 tablespoons sweet potato starch or cornflour
- 1 tablespoon plain flour
- For the Spare Ribs:
- 10 ounces/280 grams spareribs or pork shoulder
- 3 to 4 cups of oil, or as needed to deep-fry the spare-ribs
- 1 scallion, finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 chili, seeded and finely chopped
- Chinese pepper salt, to taste
Note: while there are multiple steps to this recipe, these salt and pepper spare ribs are broken down into workable categories to help you better plan for preparation and stir-frying.
Make the Chinese Pepper Salt
Gather the ingredients.
Put Sichuan peppercorns and salt into a small, dry saucepan over medium to low heat and keep stirring while cooking. This procedure is to toast the Sichuan peppercorn together with the salt and the salt will absorb the aroma and flavor of the Sichuan peppercorns. Cook for 2 to 3 minutes.
Use a sieve to pass the salt and Sichuan peppercorn. Keep the Sichuan peppercorn and salt separate. (You can use the leftover Sichuan peppercorns to make Sichuan peppercorn oil.)
Mix the salt with ground black pepper.
Make the Spare Ribs
Gather the ingredients.
Combine the marinade ingredients in a large bowl and stir well.
Cut the spareribs into bite-sized pieces and place them in the bowl with the marinade for at least 30 minutes, or overnight for more flavor. Make sure to stir it at least a couple of times during the marinating process to help the spareribs to absorb all the flavor.
Heat the oil in a wok to 350 F/180 C. Deep fry the spareribs for a minute and turn off the heat and leave it in the oil to cook for 5 minutes.
Drain and leave the ribs aside.
Put scallion, garlic, and chili in a big, heatproof mixing bowl.
Heat up the oil again to 350 F/180 C and deep-fry the spareribs for another 2 to 3 minutes or until they are crispy.
Drain and put the ribs into the mixing bowl with the scallion, garlic, and chili.
Add some Chinese Pepper Salt, to taste, and quickly toss everything a few times.
Serve and enjoy!
- When marinating, baking soda and black vinegar can help to soften the meat on the spareribs