- For the Marinade:
- 1/2 cup light soy sauce
- 4 tablespoons honey
- 4 tablespoons red wine (sweet)
- 6 large cloves garlic (minced)
- 1 1/2 tablespoons ginger (fresh, minced)
- 1 1/2 tablespoons dried red pepper (crushed)
- 1 1/2 tablespoons sesame oil
- 1/8 teaspoon white pepper
- For the Beef:
- 3 pounds flank steak (or London broil)
Make the Marinade
- In a small bowl, whisk together soy sauce, honey, sweet red wine, minced garlic, minced ginger, crushed red pepper, sesame oil, and white pepper.
- Pour into a heavy zip-top freezer bag and set aside.
Prepare the Meat
- Semi-freeze flank steak or London broil flat for 30 minutes. Slice crosswise against the grain into paper-thin strips, about 4 inches long and 1 1/2 to 2 inches wide.
- Add meat to the marinade in the zip-top bag, seal, and massage marinade into the meat. Open the bag and squeeze out all the air and reseal.
- Refrigerate at least 12 hours.
Dry the Beef
- Remove the beef from the marinade, shaking off any excess wetness and patting dry with a paper towel.
- Arrange meat on racks in foil-lined shallow baking sheets in a single layer making sure the pieces do not touch each other so there is room in between for air circulation to aid in drying.
- Let dry overnight on the countertop in a cool room. (Do not refrigerate.)
- Heat oven to 250 F. Remove and replace the foil lining under the racks in the baking sheets. Bake jerky for 30 minutes.
- Reduce heat to 175 F. Bake an additional 40 minutes until lightly browned but not burnt.
- Remove from oven. Let jerky continue to dry on the counter overnight in a cool room. Pack into airtight zip-top plastic bags or jars for storage.
More Jerky Recipes
|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Total Fat||11 g|
|Saturated Fat||4 g|
|Unsaturated Fat||4 g|
|Dietary Fiber||0 g|