|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
This is a classic style barbecue sauce with the added smoky flavor of chipotles (smoked jalapenos). You can either purchase them or make your own chipotles. This sauce works well on any meats, seafood, and vegetable substitutes.
- 2 1/2 cups/600 mL ketchup
- 1/2 cup/1290 mL onion (chopped)
- 1/2 cup/120 mL water
- 2 cans chipotle chilies (smoked jalapenos, chopped)
- 1/4 cup/60 mL brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons/30 mL oil
- 2 tablespoons/30 mL apple cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon/15 mL Worcestershire sauce
- 2 cloves garlic (minced)
- 1/2 teaspoon/2.5 mL celery salt
- 1/2 teaspoon/2.5 mL black pepper
Heat oil in a saucepan. Add onions and sauté over medium heat until soft, about 3 to 4 minutes. Add garlic and cook for 20 to 30 seconds. Stir in brown sugar, celery salt, and black pepper. Add remaining ingredients and simmer on low heat until the sauce thickens.
Remove from heat and let cool for 5 or so minutes before using. If serving as a side sauce, let sauce cool a little longer.
If making ahead of time, let sauce cool completely (about 30 minutes) and place in an airtight container. Store in the refrigerator for 7 days after preparation. Reheat before using.