This spice rub has the great flavor of Chipotle peppers. Just make sure that the rub is finely ground before using it. Great on ribs, this rub brings just a touch of heat, but a lot of flavor. This rub is perfect for barbecue ribs on the smoker, barbecue ribs on a charcoal grill, barbecue ribs on a gas grill, or barbecue ribs in the oven.
- 2 dried Chipotle peppers (use 3 to heat it up a little)
- 3 tablespoons (45 mL) black pepper
- 2 tablespoons (30 mL) dried oregano
- 1 tablespoon (15 mL) dried cilantro leaves
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 teaspoon (5 mL) cumin
- 1 teaspoon (5 mL) onion powder
- 1 teaspoon (5 mL) ground dry orange peel
Combine all ingredients in a spice mill or blender and grind until even and fine. Store in an airtight jar. Will store for about 6 months in a cool, dry place. Use this rub on any cut of beef or pork ribs.
Apply rub evenly over ribs. The general rule is what sticks is the perfect amount.