Chipotle, pumpkin and creamy cheese come together in the deliciously smoky, spicy and smooth dip. It's the perfect fall cheese dip! The pumpkin puree perfectly compliments the smoky chipotle pepper for a spicy and creamy cheese dip.
Some may sneer at Velveeta but it really makes the perfect base for any Mexican style cheese dip. You can also substitute with american cheese. They both with maintain a creamy texture without separating.
This dip comes together super quickly. It's only a few ingredients and can be microwaved to perfection in under five minutes! You can also heat this dip in a fondue pot or on the stove. If you do heat it on the stove, then make sure to pay close attention to it and stir frequently. The cheese can burn very easily!
Canned pumpkin puree tastes delicious in this recipe, but you can also make a homemade pumpkin puree. Roast the pumpkin, scoop it out and add to the cheese sauce! You can also replace the pumpkin for butternut squash puree, or even sweet potato. They all have similar textures and flavor profiles.
You can easily find canned chipotle peppers in most grocery stores. Check in the imported aisle if you can't find it with the taco ingredients. The chipotles are packed in a smoky adobo sauce. This sauce has a delicious and unique flavor that tastes amazing in this cheese dip! A little goes a long way, so you only need 1-2 teaspoons of the sauce. Some chipotle peppers are hotter than others and there is really no way to tell when you buy the can. Taste them before adding if you are worried about them being too spicy! You can also avoid adding the seeds from the chile if you want to cut down on the heat!
- 1 lb. of Velveeta cheese
- 1 can of Rotel tomatoes and chiles, undrained
- 1/3 cup of canned pumpkin puree
- 2 canned chipotle chiles and 2 teaspoons of the adobo sauceTortilla chips
- Cube the Velveeta cheese into roughly one inch cubes. Place the cheese into a microwave proof bowl.
- Open the can of Rotel tomatoes and chiles, including the juice from the can, and add it to the cheese. Then add the pumpkin puree. Stir gently to just combine.
- Chop the chipotle chiles into a fine dice and add them and 2 teaspoons of the adobo sauce from the can to the cheese mixture. Stir the mixture.
- Place the bowl in the microwave and heat for one minute. Remove from the microwave carefully and stir. Microwave for one minute intervals, stirring in between until the cheese has completely melted and is hot!
- Serve the Queso with tortilla chips or any vegetable sticks. If the cheese becomes firm after serving, simply microwave for another minute.