This recipe for Japanese chirashizushi, known as scattered sushi, is served on plates or in bowls with colorful toppings.
It's often cooked for celebrating special occasions, such as festivals, birthdays, and so on. Don't be limited by the toppings suggested here. Use your imagination to create a dish that suits your palate.
- 2 1/4 cups Japanese rice
- For the Sushi Vinegar:
- 1/4 cup rice vinegar
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- For the Toppings:
- 8 dried shiitake mushrooms (rehydrated in 2 cups of warm water,keep the water for cooking)
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon mirin
- 3 large eggs
- 1 1/2 teaspoons sugar
- 1 cucumber (julienned)
- 2 ounces imitation crab (shredded)
- 1/2 pound sashimi/sushi-grade tuna (sliced and marinated in 2 tablespoon soy sauce and a little optional wasabi)
- Garnish: 2 teaspoons white sesame seeds
Make the Rice
- Put rice in a large bowl and wash it with cold water. Repeat washing until the water becomes almost clear. Drain the rice in a colander and set aside for 30 minutes.
- Place the rice in a rice cooker and add about 2 1/3 cups of water. Let the rice soak in the water at least 30 minutes. Start the cooker.
Make the Sushi Vinegar
- In a small saucepan, mix together rice vinegar, sugar, and salt. Put the pan on low heat and heat until the sugar dissolves. Cool the vinegar mixture.
- Spread the hot steamed rice into a large plate or a large bowl. Sprinkle the vinegar mixture over the rice and quickly mix into the rice using a shamoji (rice spatula).
Prepare the Toppings and Omelets
- Meanwhile, remove stems from shiitake and slice thinly. Heat 2/3 cup of the reserved water used for rehydrating shiitake in a medium pan.
- Add shiitake, soy sauce, 1 tablespoon sugar, and mirin. Simmer shiitake on low heat until the liquid is almost gone. Set aside.
- Make the omelets by beating eggs in a bowl with 1 1/2 teaspoons sugar. Oil a medium skillet and pour a scoop of egg mixture and make a thin omelet like a crepe. Continue until the mixture is gone. Cut the omelet into thin strips.
- Serve sushi rice on a large plate or individual bowls. Spread simmered shiitake, cucumber, imitation crab meat, and omelet strips over rice. Place tuna sashimi on top. Garnish with sesame seeds.
|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Total Fat||7 g|
|Saturated Fat||2 g|
|Unsaturated Fat||2 g|
|Dietary Fiber||2 g|