These easy gluten-free macaron cookies are made with egg whites and ground almonds or almond meal. Melted chocolate chips and some vanilla extract add flavor to the cookies.
The egg whites and sugar are beaten to make a meringue before the almond meal and melted chocolate are folded in, making the cookies light and fluffy in texture.
- 6 ounces (about 1 cup) semisweet chocolate chips
- 3 large egg whites
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup ground almonds (almond meal)
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Heat the oven to 350 F.
- Line baking sheets with parchment paper or butter them generously.
- Put the chocolate chips in the top of a double boiler over simmering water. Cook, stirring occasionally until the chocolate has melted. Remove the pan and set aside to cool.
- In a mixing bowl with an electric mixer, beat egg whites and salt until stiff but not dry.
- Gradually beat the sugar into the egg whites until mixture is thick and glossy. The meringue should stand in peaks.
- Fold in the almond meal, vanilla, and melted chocolate.
- Drop by teaspoonfuls onto the prepared baking sheets.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 12 to 15 minutes, or until set.
Makes about 48 cookies.
"I am not a macaron lover normally but these are wonderful. I was looking for something more low fat, yet I am a chocolate lover. I expected them to be ho-hum okay but was pleasantly surprised. They are yummy! I used Bakers unsweetened chocolate in place of the chocolate chips for a more intense chocolate flavor. Off to Easter dinner with these as our dessert." Penny
You Might Also Like
|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Total Fat||2 g|
|Saturated Fat||1 g|
|Unsaturated Fat||1 g|
|Dietary Fiber||1 g|