Think about everything you love about banana bread—the moist crumb, the rich flavor, the delicate sweetness. Now think about all that... then add chocolate. This recipe is a classic banana bread taken to the next level. Unsweetened cocoa powder is added to the batter and rich mini chocolate chips are sprinkled over the top.
The best part is, unsweetened cocoa powder is low in calories, but delivers intense chocolate flavor. In fact, cocoa powder is a concentrated source of flavonoids, which are the substances believed to provide chocolate with its potential health benefits. The flavonoids in cocoa have been linked to lowering inflammation in the body as well as reducing blood pressure. In addition, cocoa powder is a good source of minerals like iron, magnesium, and zinc. Plus, there are almost two grams of fiber per tablespoon of cocoa powder. No wonder it is a staple in most bakers' pantries.
As with all banana bread recipes, be sure to use very ripe bananas that are soft and covered with dark spots. This will guarantee the most flavorful and enjoyable quick bread.
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter (softened)
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup bananas (ripe, mashed, about 2 to 3 medium bananas)
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Optional: 1/4 cup mini chocolate chips
Gather the ingredients. Preheat the oven to 350 F. Grease a 9 x 5-inch loaf pan with non-stick baking spray and set aside.
In a large bowl, cream the butter and sugar together until light and fluffy.
Add the eggs, mashed bananas, milk, and vanilla extract.
In another bowl, combine the flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, and salt.
Add the flour mixture to the banana mixture and mix just until combined. Do not overmix.
Transfer to the prepared loaf pan. Sprinkle the top with chocolate chips, if desired. Bake for 60 to 65 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. (Careful not to insert near a chocolate chip.)
Cool in the pan for 10 minutes before removing to a wire rack. Cool completely before slicing and serving.
- This chocolate banana bread will keep on the countertop wrapped in plastic wrap for up to 4 days.
- The bread also freezes well. To freeze, cool the bread completely and wrap tightly in plastic wrap followed by a layer of aluminum foil. Freeze for up to 1 month. Defrost completely before slicing and serving.
- For a chocolate peanut butter banana bread, substitute a handful of peanut butter chips for the mini chocolate chips sprinkled on top.
- Add chopped walnuts or pecans to the batter.