When you first hear of chocolate beet cake, you may wonder who thought that up. Don't be turned off by the beets! You won't taste them at all, and they make the cake very moist.
This easy cake is rich, chocolate decadence at its finest. It is surprisingly light and not overly sweet so the chocolate flavor shines. You must try it to believe it.
This cake is moist and delicious without any topping. However, if you would like to dress it up, you may sift powdered sugar over the top or frost it with your favorite icing.
Depending on how you cut it, you can get 36 to 48 servings. Or, far, far less if you cut larger squares. If you want to keep more for yourself, just tell the less adventurous guests that there are beets in the cake.
- 1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 can (15 ounces) whole or quartered beets (not pickled), drained (reserve liquid)
- 1 1/4 cups granulated sugar
- 1 cup vegetable oil
- 1/2 cup juice from beets*
- 3 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 4 squares (1 ounce each) unsweetened chocolate, melted
- 1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- *You can also use fresh beets for this recipe if you first peel and cook them. Adjust the liquid accordingly as you won't have the 1/2 cup of beet juice and you can substitute water.
- Preheat oven to 350 F. Arrange the rack in the center of the oven.
- Line a 9 x 13-inch baking pan with non-stick foil.
- In a medium bowl, measure flour, baking soda, and salt. Whisk the dry ingredients to combine them. Set them aside.
- Puree the drained beets in a food processor or a heavy-duty blender. Scrape them into a large bowl. You can use either a hand mixer or a stand mixer in the next step, so choose your bowl accordingly.
- Add sugar, vegetable oil, and 1/2 cup reserved beet juice to the pureed beets and mix on medium speed until combined.
- Add eggs and vanilla extract, blending until completely incorporated.
- Add the flour mixture to the beet mixture. Using medium speed, mix until combined, at least two minutes, scraping down sides often.
- Add melted unsweetened chocolate and mix until combined.
- Pour the batter into the baking pan. Distribute chocolate chips evenly over the top of the batter.
- Bake for 30 to 35 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Do not over-bake or it will become dry. Let cool to room temperature.
|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Total Fat||7 g|
|Saturated Fat||2 g|
|Unsaturated Fat||4 g|
|Dietary Fiber||1 g|