This makes a light covered chocolate frosting that’s just the right amount of chocolate-y without being too rich. It makes enough to frost a 2-layer 8 or 9-inch cake.
This chocolate buttercream frosting goes wonderfully with a very Simple Vanilla Cake. Nothing celebrates a birthday, Mother's or Father's Day, Valentine's Day, or really any occasion, better than a homemade cake. But you don't always need a reason - sometimes it's nice to just have cake, you know?
The layers of this cake freeze beautifully when well wrapped in plastic wrap, then sealed in a freezer-proof zipper top bag. I love having a couple of cake layers in the fridge to pull out when I don't have time to bake for an occasion -- you will feel very on top of things, even as chaos reigns throughout the house.
For a chocolate frosting with a bit of tangy-ness to it, try this Easy Sour Cream Chocolate Frosting (especially good on pound cakes, carrot cakes, and honey cakes).
Don't Miss - More Sweets and Treats
Chocolate Vanilla Cake
- 4 ounces chocolate (bittersweet or semisweet, chopped or chips)
- 2 sticks butter (unsalted, at room temperature)
- 3 cups powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract (pure)
- Melt the chocolate in a heatproof bowl suspended over a pot of simmering water, or in a double boiler. Set aside to come to room temperature.
- In a medium sized mixing bowl, beat together the butter and sugar on high speed using an electric mixer, until fluffy. Beat in the vanilla. Add the cooled melted chocolate and beat for another minute on high speed until fluffy.
|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Total Fat||19 g|
|Saturated Fat||12 g|
|Unsaturated Fat||6 g|
|Dietary Fiber||1 g|