Looking for a chocolate cake that's a little out of the ordinary? Try this recipe for a delicious chocolate cake with a broiled coconut pecan frosting. Your friends and family will be impressed with this homemade treat.
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1/4 cups granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup Canola oil or safflower oil
- 1 1/4 cups buttermilk or sour milk
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- For the Topping:
- 6 tablespoons butter
- 1/3 cup light brown sugar, packed
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans
- 2/3 cup sweetened flaked coconut
- 4 tablespoons evaporated milk or half-and-half
- Grease and flour a 9-inch square baking pan or spray with a flour and oil baking spray. Heat oven to 350°.
- Combine flour, granulated sugar, cocoa, baking soda, and salt in a mixing bowl. Add oil, buttermilk, and vanilla, along with beaten egg. Whisk or slowly beat until well blended.
- Pour into prepared pan and bake for 35 to 40 minutes.
- Meanwhile, combine topping ingredients in a small bowl, stirring until well blended. Spread topping over the warm cake and broil about 4 inches from heat for 3 minutes, or until topping is browned and bubbly.
More Chocolate Cake Recipe
Old-Fashioned Chocolate Cake
|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Total Fat||31 g|
|Saturated Fat||10 g|
|Unsaturated Fat||14 g|
|Dietary Fiber||3 g|