|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
Looking for a chocolate cake that's a little out of the ordinary? Try this recipe for a delicious chocolate cake with a broiled coconut pecan frosting. Your friends and family will be impressed with this homemade treat.
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1/4 cups granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup Canola oil or safflower oil
- 1 1/4 cups buttermilk or sour milk
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- For the Topping:
- 6 tablespoons butter
- 1/3 cup light brown sugar, packed
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans
- 2/3 cup sweetened flaked coconut
- 4 tablespoons evaporated milk or half-and-half
Grease and flour a 9-inch square baking pan or spray with a flour and oil baking spray. Heat oven to 350°.
Combine flour, granulated sugar, cocoa, baking soda, and salt in a mixing bowl. Add oil, buttermilk, and vanilla, along with beaten egg. Whisk or slowly beat until well blended.
Pour into prepared pan and bake for 35 to 40 minutes.
Meanwhile, combine topping ingredients in a small bowl, stirring until well blended. Spread topping over the warm cake and broil about 4 inches from heat for 3 minutes, or until topping is browned and bubbly.
More Chocolate Cake Recipe
Old-Fashioned Chocolate Cake