This Swiss chocolate cake is finished with a scrumptious chocolate cream cheese frosting, but feel free to use your own favorite frosting on the cake. A purchased tub of frosting would be good as well.
This is an old-fashioned Swiss chocolate cake, made from scratch. It is made with melted, unsweetened baking chocolate along with evaporated milk and cake flour.
- 2 cups sifted cake flour, 8 ounces
- 2 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 cup shortening
- 1 1/4 cups granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs, beaten
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 ounces (2 squares) unsweetened baking chocolate, melted
- 1 cup evaporated milk
- Chocolate Cream Cheese Frosting:
- 1/4 cup butter, softened
- 8 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 2 ounces (2 squares) unsweetened chocolate, melted
- 3 cups confectioners' sugar
- 5 to 6 tablespoons half-and-half or light cream
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Heat the oven to 350 F (180 C/Gas 4). Grease and flour two 9-inch layer cake pans.
- Sift the sifted cake flour and baking powder together in a bowl; set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl with an electric mixer, cream the shortening and granulated sugar until light and fluffy, about 4 to 5 minutes. Add the eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Add salt and vanilla, then add the melted chocolate.
- Add the flour mixture to the creamed mixture alternately with the evaporated milk, blending well after each addition and ending with flour mixture.
- Divide the batter between the two prepared cake pans.
- Bake in the preheated oven for about 30 to 35 minutes, or until cake springs back when lightly touched with finger.
Chocolate Cream Cheese Frosting
- In a mixing bowl with an electric mixer, cream together the butter and cream cheese.
- Sift the confectioners' sugar into a bowl.
- Add the melted chocolate, salt, the sifted confectioners' sugar, 5 tablespoons of half-and-half or light cream, and the vanilla.
- Beat until smooth and spreadable. Add more confectioners' sugar or cream, if necessary.
- The cake may be baked in a greased and floured 9-by-13-by-2-inch baking pan. There might be a slight difference in timing, so begin to check for doneness with a toothpick or by touching it with a finger after about 25 minutes.
- Use a thick jam or preserves or thick caramel sauce as a filling between the layers, if desired. Alternatively, brush the bottom layer with some softened jam before adding the chocolate cream cheese filling and frosting.
|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Total Fat||23 g|
|Saturated Fat||11 g|
|Unsaturated Fat||8 g|
|Dietary Fiber||2 g|