This Swiss chocolate cake is finished with a scrumptious chocolate cream cheese frosting, but feel free to use your own favorite frosting on the cake. A purchased tub of frosting would be good as well.
This is an old-fashioned Swiss chocolate cake, made from scratch. It is made with melted unsweetened baking chocolate along with evaporated milk and cake flour.
- 2 cups sifted cake flour, 8 ounces
- 2 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 cup shortening
- 1 1/4 cups granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs, beaten
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 ounces (2 squares) unsweetened baking chocolate, melted
- 1 cup evaporated milk
- Chocolate Cream Cheese Frosting:
- 1/4 cup butter, softened
- 8 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 2 ounces (2 squares) unsweetened chocolate, melted
- 3 cups confectioners' sugar
- 5 to 6 tablespoons half-and-half or light cream
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Heat the oven to 350° F (180° C/Gas 4). Grease and flour two 9-inch layer cake pans.
- Sift the sifted cake flour and baking powder together in a bowl; set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl with an electric mixer, cream the shortening and granulated sugar until light and fluffy, about 4 to 5 minutes. Add the eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Add salt and vanilla, then add the melted chocolate.
- Add the flour mixture to the creamed mixture alternately with the evaporated milk, blending well after each addition and ending with flour mixture.
- Divide the batter between the two prepared cake pans.
- Bake in the preheated oven for about 30 to 35 minutes, or until cake springs back when lightly touched with finger.
Chocolate Cream Cheese Frosting
- In a mixing bowl with an electric mixer, cream together the butter and cream cheese.
- Sift the confectioners' sugar into a bowl.
- Add the melted chocolate, salt, the sifted confectioners' sugar, 5 tablespoons of half-and-half or light cream, and the vanilla.
- Beat until smooth and spreadable. Add more confectioners' sugar or cream, if necessary.
- The cake may be baked in a greased and floured 9-by-13-by-2-inch baking pan. There might be a slight difference in timing, so begin to check for doneness with a toothpick or by touching it with a finger after about 25 minutes.
- Use a thick jam or preserves or thick caramel sauce as a filling between the layers, if desired. Or brush the bottom layer with some softened jam before adding the chocolate cream cheese filling and frosting.
You Might Also Like
Chocolate Sponge Cake
|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Total Fat||23 g|
|Saturated Fat||11 g|
|Unsaturated Fat||8 g|
|Dietary Fiber||2 g|