|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Servings: 16 servings|
|Amount per serving|
|% Daily Value*|
|Total Fat 29g||37%|
|Saturated Fat 17g||84%|
|Total Carbohydrate 44g||16%|
|Dietary Fiber 6g||23%|
|*The % Daily Value (DV) tells you how much a nutrient in a food serving contributes to a daily diet. 2,000 calories a day is used for general nutrition advice.|
This delicious recipe for a moist and sweet Chocolate Cherry Cake starts with cake mix and adds cherry pie filling and a smooth and creamy frosting. This is a classic recipe that has a surprisingly deep and rich taste. The pie filling may seem like a strange addition, but the fruit adds moisture to the cake and a complex fruity flavor that pairs beautifully with the chocolate.
You could substitute strawberry or raspberry pie filling for the cherry pie filling if you'd like. Use canned filling or your own homemade version; 21 ounces is about 2-1/2 cups.
The frosting on this luscious cake is very easy to make. It has to be spread on the cake while the cake is still warm. Make the frosting when the cake is in the oven with about 10 minutes to go in the baking time.
Then enjoy every bite of this wonderful and simple cake. It makes a lot, and can feed up to 16 people, so it's perfect for holiday entertaining.
- 1 (18-ounce) package chocolate cake mix
- 1 (21-ounce) can cherry pie filling
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1/3 cup whole milk
- 1 (12-ounce) package semisweet chocolate chips
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- Gather the ingredients.
- Preheat the oven to 350 F.
- Spray a 13 x 9" pan with nonstick baking spray containing flour and set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine the cake mix, cherry pie filling, 1 teaspoon vanilla, and the eggs. Beat these ingredients until well mixed, then beat for 1 minute at medium speed until everything is blended. Pour the batter into the prepared pan.
- Bake the cake at 350 F for 25 to 30 minutes or until the cake is set. the top springs back when lightly touched in the center, and the cake starts to pull away from the sides of the pan.
- While the cake is in the oven, combine the granulated sugar, brown sugar, butter, and milk in a large saucepan. Bring this mixture to a boil, then boil for 1 minute, stirring constantly, until the sugar is dissolved.
- Remove the pan from the heat and add the chocolate chips and vanilla. Stir with a wire whisk until the chips are melted and the frosting is smooth.
- Pour the frosting over the warm cake and spread to cover. Let the cake cool on a wire rack before serving.
Note: You don't need to refrigerate this cake because of the milk in the frosting. There's so much sugar and fat in the frosting that the milk doesn't present a safety hazard even when left at room temperature.