Did you know that a Dutchman paved the way for the mass production of cocoa and chocolate? That's why many unsweetened cocoas are labelled as ''Dutch processed'' or ''Dutched''. This Chocolate Granola Recipe uses extra dark Dutch processed cocoa to give our granola its glorious color, but if you can only find the regular kind where you live, that's fine too.
Our recipe may look and taste indulgent, but it's actually pretty good for you and happens to be be gluten-free, lactose-free and low in refined sugars. And, unlike most overpriced store-bought granolas, it's a much more affordable way to eat well.
You will need a large baking sheet; parchment paper; silicone spatula or wooden spoon.
- 2 1/2 cups/215 g regular, "old-fashioned" oats
- 1/2 cup/40 g ground flaxseed
- 3 tbsp. coconut sugar
- 2 1/2 tsp. extra dark Dutch process cocoa
- Pinch of sea salt
- 1/2 cup/120 g unsweetened applesauce
- 3 tbsp. runny honey
- 1 tbsp. coconut oil
- 1 cup/85 g flaked almonds
- 1/2 cup/40 g coconut flakes
- 1/3 cup/40 g dark chocolate chips (or chopped dark chocolate with at least 85% cocoa)
- 3 tbsp. cacao nibs
- Garnish: fresh Dutch strawberries and coconut yogurt
- Gather the ingredients.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Combine the oats, flaxseed, coconut sugar, cocoa and sea salt in a large bowl. Set aside.
- In a microwave-safe bowl, melt the coconut oil by heating on high in the microwave for a minute or so (or heat it in a saucepan on the stove-top). Add the apple sauce and runny honey, and mix well.
- Pour the wet ingredients over the oats-cocoa mixture and stir with a silicone spatula or wooden spoon, ensuring that everything is evenly coated.
- Spread the granola mixture over the prepared baking sheet. Place the chocolate granola in the preheated oven. Bake for 10 minutes, stir, and then scatter the flaked almonds and coconut flakes over the top. Bake for a further 10 minutes. Remove from the oven and allow the chocolate granola to cool completely on the baking tray. It will crisp up as it cools.
- When the granola is stone cold, add the chocolate chips or chopped chocolate and the cacao nibs, and stir to combine. Scoop the Dutch chocolate granola into an air-tight jar and serve with fresh strawberries and your favorite coconut yogurt.
What is ''old fashioned'' oats and what other varieties of oats are there? Which brands of oats are gluten-free?
This recipe uses coconut sugar. Learn everything there is to know about coconut sugar.
Buy organic apple sauce for this recipe: many are naturally sugar-free. Or, make your own apple sauce from scratch, leaving out the sugar.
We simply love the creamy flavor of coconut yogurt, but this plant-based yogurt is also an excellent choice for people who are lactose intolerant or on lactose-free diets. What does lactose-free mean, and what's the difference between lactose-free and dairy-free?
What does it mean to go gluten-free and how do you ditch gluten?